302 ?

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
As of now it's performer heads, anderson cam, ported cobra intake on the motor so I figure around 330 or so at the flywheel. I'd like to throw a supercharger (9lbs or so) sometime in the future after a motor rebuild. Either that or go with a single turbo. I'm gonna try and avoid nitrous if I can. Can you get good low compression pistons for a 306?

Blacksunshine

Established Member
Yeah if you go with more than 450 in the future I reccommend a better block. JE has an SRP piston pretty decent low compression I believe. You don't wanna have super low compression, old pushrod 302's don't like low compression and high boost. Just keep a mild compression 8.5:1-9:1 and you will be fine.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Don't Bore it if You Don't Have Too

91camaroRS -

With only 70k on the odo you may not have to bore it. Have the machine shop check for specs like ridge and taper. They may be able to throw a fresh hone on it and reuse the forged pistons if not out of spec. You'll want new rings. These are things the machine shop can check for.

Keeping it a stock bore gives some advantages. The cylinder wall stays thicker. This helps cooling and cylinder block strength. Of course, a big advantage is not having to pay for new forged pistons and boring.

Users who are viewing this thread