331/D1SC ProCharger on SuperFlow dyno questions

paluka21

Established Member
Hi all,

Haven't posted here in quite some time, however I thought I would as this question here in the tuning section, since it seems there are quite a few people around who are familiar with certain aspects of tuning.

My previous combo consisted of: Stock 302 shortblock, GT40X heads, ported cobra intake, E303 cam with 1.72 rockers, full exhaust, D1SC seeing 13psi @6100rpm, ignition, etc. Car made 490rwhp,470ft/lbs on a DynoJet after being tuned at Larocca's many eons ago.

New combo is: Dart 331 with 8.8:1 compression, AFR 185 heads with custom springs to match heads, custom cam ( specs below ), D1SC seeing 12psi @6300rpm, Edebrock RPM II upper/lower, Pro-m protube, 50#injectors, Glenns 1000hp fuel system, 1 3/4 shorty headers with MAC Prochamber and Magnaflow catback 2 1/2".
Cam:
Advertised duration: 274 int 285 exh
Dur @.050: 224 int 232 ext with 114 lobe separation
.574 intake lift, .545 exhaust

Questions:
Car made 511rwhp and 472ft/lbs on a SuperFlow dyno with an 11.1 A/F ratio at peak torque, and climbing to about 11.3 at 6300rpm, with 24 degrees total timing. Apparently the car was picking up 20 hp for every two degrees timing added. ( Although I think this is a bit aggressive for 93 octane )
I would have expected the car to make more power than it did, for what I have put together, especially torque, unless the DynoJet to SuperFlow numbers are that far off? I know that I'm only spinning the blower to 52,000 rpm @ 6300rpm motor, but I would still think it should make quite a bit more? The car feels strong once boost starts to build, and feels stronger than it used to on the previous combo, but the numbers aren't showing.

During the tuning session, the tuner mentioned that my Pro-m 3" protube pegged in voltage at 5V at 5000rpm, yet this meter should not peg at the horsepower I'm making. He mentioned he had to fool the computer into thinking it wasn't pegged.
I called Pro-M, and Chris ( Tech who works there ) that the 50# injectors I have, most likely are the culprit, and the meter is receiving the readings from the injectors being maxed or nearly maxed. Hmm.. Therefore, I'm not certain what to believe?

Finally, the car runs pretty rough when you first start it, then smooths out after about 30 seconds of idling. The check engine light comes out, and I believe it is due to me removing the EGR before I took the car in for a tune. The tuner suggests that they removed the EGR function, however, I'm not so sure this is the case. Would the symptoms of not having an EGR be rough cold start, and a check engine light?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2002BLGT

Established Member
Hi all,

Haven't posted here in quite some time, however I thought I would as this question here in the tuning section, since it seems there are quite a few people around who are familiar with certain aspects of tuning.

My previous combo consisted of: Stock 302 shortblock, GT40X heads, ported cobra intake, E303 cam with 1.72 rockers, full exhaust, D1SC seeing 13psi @6100rpm, ignition, etc. Car made 490rwhp,470ft/lbs on a DynoJet after being tuned at Larocca's many eons ago.

New combo is: Dart 331 with 8.8:1 compression, AFR 185 heads with custom springs to match heads, custom cam ( specs below ), D1SC seeing 12psi @6300rpm, Edebrock RPM II upper/lower, Pro-m protube, 50#injectors, Glenns 1000hp fuel system, 1 3/4 shorty headers with MAC Prochamber and Magnaflow catback 2 1/2".
Cam:
Advertised duration: 274 int 285 exh
Dur @.050: 224 int 232 ext with 114 lobe separation
.574 intake lift, .545 exhaust

Questions:
Car made 511rwhp and 472ft/lbs on a SuperFlow dyno with an 11.1 A/F ratio at peak torque, and climbing to about 11.3 at 6300rpm, with 24 degrees total timing. Apparently the car was picking up 20 hp for every two degrees timing added. ( Although I think this is a bit aggressive for 93 octane )
I would have expected the car to make more power than it did, for what I have put together, especially torque, unless the DynoJet to SuperFlow numbers are that far off? I know that I'm only spinning the blower to 52,000 rpm @ 6300rpm motor, but I would still think it should make quite a bit more? The car feels strong once boost starts to build, and feels stronger than it used to on the previous combo, but the numbers aren't showing.

During the tuning session, the tuner mentioned that my Pro-m 3" protube pegged in voltage at 5V at 5000rpm, yet this meter should not peg at the horsepower I'm making. He mentioned he had to fool the computer into thinking it wasn't pegged.
I called Pro-M, and Chris ( Tech who works there ) that the 50# injectors I have, most likely are the culprit, and the meter is receiving the readings from the injectors being maxed or nearly maxed. Hmm.. Therefore, I'm not certain what to believe?

Finally, the car runs pretty rough when you first start it, then smooths out after about 30 seconds of idling. The check engine light comes out, and I believe it is due to me removing the EGR before I took the car in for a tune. The tuner suggests that they removed the EGR function, however, I'm not so sure this is the case. Would the symptoms of not having an EGR be rough cold start, and a check engine light?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Too much timing for sure , might pick up power from reduced timing what is he using to datalog timing with ?
I just did 475 on stock block 331 with trickflow kit with 14 degrees of timing verified timing datalogging with Moates QH , car was originally on 16 degrees and pulled 495 on 11psi , pulled 2 degrees out to keep the block together longer , so I agree on the 20 HP per 2 degrees idea

As far as tricking the computer , he had to scale the MAF because of the PCM only being able to read up to 1741 KG/HR of air so you have to scale the displacement , injector data and MAF data to be able to work within the limits of the PCM

If the dyno was on a SAE correction it may not be that far off on power but 24 degrees of timing at 13 psi is not smart on pump gas IMO it does not need that much timing for sure to make good power , but sounds to me like the previous Dynojet numbers were probably on STD correction which SAE would probably be closer to 450 rwhp on SAE correction

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread