351 Windsor swap?

Troy Stiffler

Established Member
I'm just curious with the whole specs on the 2015 Mustang released, would it be possible to swap the stock engine for a 351 Windsor crate engine or would the 351 engine be too big?

Last edited:

specizripn

Established Member
It would fit... My question is why you are trolling so hard right now... Your 2nd post and youre talking about an extensive custom project to downgrade an excellent powerplant.

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member
Ford should be offering an option of a n.a. 5.8L (same as the 13-14 shelby) with High compression for these new S550.
They could also call that the 351 S550 or something of that matter. Easy 500-525 HP non boosted motor.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
RPMS > Displacement. A 5.8 will have a very hard time turning the rpms a 5.0 can, and that will seriously limit its power capabilities.

It will be interesting to see what the 5.2 GT350 will do...

Troy Stiffler

Established Member
It would fit... My question is why you are trolling so hard right now... Your 2nd post and youre talking about an extensive custom project to downgrade an excellent powerplant.

I was curious to see if it would fit. Even if it would fit, I'd still have the Coyote motor.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Ford should be offering an option of a n.a. 5.8L (same as the 13-14 shelby) with High compression for these new S550.
They could also call that the 351 S550 or something of that matter. Easy 500-525 HP non boosted motor.

Or give it a 5.2L and call it GT350...:dw:

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member
RPMS > Displacement. A 5.8 will have a very hard time turning the rpms a 5.0 can, and that will seriously limit its power capabilities.

It will be interesting to see what the 5.2 GT350 will do...

5.2L is a waste of time imo. .2L more displacement, baaahh Just keep it a 5.0 then.

Yes, a 5.8L would turn a few hundred rpm lower than the coyote but the extra torque across the rpm band would easily outrun the same car with a 5.0. That of course, considering the engine is built right (high compression, good heads and intake Manifold, 4 valves per cyl, 4 cams, etc.) like ford did with the 5.0. We are talking about a modern ford engine like the one on the 13-14 gt-500 would make easily 100 hp more than a 5 liter does.

Ford could also make the engine lighter and closer or = in weight with a 5 liter. The technology, metals, etc.. are out there to make it happen.
I would love to see a big ford 4 cam/ 4 valve per cyl V8 N/A engine in a mustang as an option. Even a 6 liter would be great.

Last edited:

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member
It will fit. Good luck getting the electronics to work.

They can do it!! It is a matter of them wanting to do.

What HP do you think a N/A 13-14 Shelby engine could make minus supercharger but with high comp. 11:1, 11.5:1 pistons, Good street N/A cams and a well designed intake manifold?
I think that 500-525 hp is piece of cake...

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They can do it!! It is a matter of them wanting to do.

What HP do you think a N/A 13-14 Shelby engine could make minus supercharger but with high comp. 11:1, 11.5:1 pistons, Good street N/A cams and a well designed intake manifold?
I think that 500-525 hp is piece of cake...

Are you talking about a built race engine, or something that you could expect in a production Ford.

What you're essentially describing is an updated 2000 R engine, which made 385 hp. The R heads are essentially the same thing as GT/GT500 heads and the compression ratio was 10.5:1. The intake was really good as well. With 15 years of advancement, 400 cc more displacement, and some exhaust improvements I still wouldn't expect such and engine to make power in the 500-525 hp range.

The secret to the Coyote making so much power is in the heads. The variable cam timing allows engineers to get much more aggressive with the cams while still keeping the car pleasantly streetable. The GT500 engine does not have that system.

Voltwings

Established Member
The 5.8L gt500 motor redlines sub 7000, the 5.0 can go to 8k. There's a 16% increase in displacement from 5.0 to 5.8, but a 23% increase going from 6500 rpm to 8000. HP = (Torque x RPM)/5252 ... math says RPM is the winner, a 5.8L All motor would underperform compared to a 5.0L.

darreng505

Established Member
The 5.8L gt500 motor redlines sub 7000, the 5.0 can go to 8k. There's a 16% increase in displacement from 5.0 to 5.8, but a 23% increase going from 6500 rpm to 8000. HP = (Torque x RPM)/5252 ... math says RPM is the winner, a 5.8L All motor would underperform compared to a 5.0L.

Bingo.

Charlington

Established Member
That's great and all but who drives around on the street at 8K. I prefer the low and mid rpm power over the high revving metal melting rpm. But I'm old and everytime I see Winsor 351 I think cast iron, pushrod, F150...
I just cannot get used to having fragile high maintainance parts (cam chain tensioners etc.) that could cause catastrophic failures at 20k miles. Not just Ford but all manufacturers and motorcycles too. I guess after 20yrs of Mod motors Ford has that figured out? I'm new to this.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That's great and all but who drives around on the street at 8K. I prefer the low and mid rpm power over the high revving metal melting rpm. But I'm old and everytime I see Winsor 351 I think cast iron, pushrod, F150...
I just cannot get used to having fragile high maintainance parts (cam chain tensioners etc.) that could cause catastrophic failures at 20k miles. Not just Ford but all manufacturers and motorcycles too. I guess after 20yrs of Mod motors Ford has that figured out? I'm new to this.

I wouldn't call the modular timing components fragile.

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member
Are you talking about a built race engine, or something that you could expect in a production Ford.

What you're essentially describing is an updated 2000 R engine, which made 385 hp. The R heads are essentially the same thing as GT/GT500 heads and the compression ratio was 10.5:1. The intake was really good as well. With 15 years of advancement, 400 cc more displacement, and some exhaust improvements I still wouldn't expect such and engine to make power in the 500-525 hp range.

The secret to the Coyote making so much power is in the heads. The variable cam timing allows engineers to get much more aggressive with the cams while still keeping the car pleasantly streetable. The GT500 engine does not have that system.

So, the 5.8 ford na engine with heads that apply that same technology as the 5 liter matched to that engine should make more power than the 5.0.
I'm talking about a street version of the 5.8 coming out of the box.
Thanks for the info on the 5.8l heads though.
Like I said before, it is a matter of them putting the time to make a bigger ford engine and set the bar high again for the mustang.
They are trying to squeeze 10, 15 hp more in an already very powerful 5.0 engine that needs to pass emissions etc,etc... Got to a point that there is nowhere to go or the gains are very small If they keep the same cubic inches naturally aspirated.

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member

That's not true. The 5 liter won't go past 7900 because the ecu won't allow you to do so.
Your talking like the 5 Liter comes from the factory spinning 8k. I own two five liters and none came from the factory redlining nowhere close that rpm. Spinning that high doesn't mean smack for a street car if the other parts in the engine are not matched for all that. That's why the regular 5.0 is far from the rpm capabilities of the boss 302, heads are different and so is the intake manifold.

The 5.8 engine with tivct heads and all the other goodies WILL out perform the the 5 liter anywhere anytime.
Cubic inch means a lot for n/a engines.

Users who are viewing this thread