4.6 Cobra motor to be discontinued by Ford

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
From that link:

<SNIP>

According to internal Ford documents, the 7.3L isn't the only Ford engine with a reputation for quality
to be written off - the 2.0L Zetec and 4.6L Cobra are also going to be discontinued <more> around the
same time as the 7.3L. The last Powerstroke 7.3L will be offered in the 2002 model year - but a new and
and highly improved Powerstroke is on the way.

<SNIP>

This was posted in Oct 15, 1999. The new Cobra's are 03 model year, so I don't think this is true anymore, or the 03 engine is considered a new enigne after discontinuation of the previous one.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Well the Powerstroke 7.3 is gone as of 2003, so they nailed that one nearly three years ago..

I think the 4.6 Cobra engine will be gone too, it's just that the new Mustang was slated for 03 back in 99, now it's slipped to 04.

So yea, it's not dead yet, but it will be soon. A DOHC 5.0 with VVT is supposed to be the next Cobra engine... now if they would only strap a blower on top of that...:rolling:

Everyone's gotta remeber that Ford is just getting started with these mod motors. They've only been around about 10 years, and really only about 5 years as the main engine for cars AND trucks. They are gonna upgrade them and change them alot early on. It's taken Chevy around 50 years to get the SBC to where it's at now. Just think what the mods will be like in another 15 years...

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
So yea, it's not dead yet, but it will be soon. A DOHC 5.0 with VVT is supposed to be the next Cobra engine... now if they would only strap a blower on top of that...:rolling:

Bingo! Due for the 2005 models. But will be available mid 2004.:beer:

Orange Poison

Established Member
I know some automotive insiders say the next Gen. Cobra won't be seen until 2006....

How's dem apples......

I'd hate to see that....but considering the 2003 Mustang was supposed to already be here....and it's not...well, that's why I bought the '03 Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread