400+ Road Trip in the SVTP S550 EcoBoost - My Opinion

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have been DD'ing the SVTP EcoBoost Mustang for a couple of months now, and it is a fairly fun and comfortable ride around town. Late last week I set out from Myrtle Beach to the NMRA Race at MDIR, a little over 400 miles one way. That was the longest (non-stop) trip I've made in an S550 Mustang thus far and I'm happy to report that the car performed exceptionally well. The Recaros were a bit of a disappointment, but I've never been 100% satisfied by them. One of the biggest positives I noticed with the car was the much improved way (vs the S197 Mustang) the 2015 handles large bumps. Over expansion joints in desperate need of repair the rear suspension never got upset in the way the old SRA did.

The MGW Shifter on the car performed absolutely flawlessly. It improves the driver's connection to car in a way that very few mods can. I like keeping the steering in Sport Mode as well. I feel the S550 EcoBoost tends to be a bit soft around the edges for my taste, but the combination of those two things really improve the driving dynamics. I can wait to really dig into the suspension.

I wan't overly thrilled with the fuel mileage, which seems to average around 28-29 MPG. I was hoping that this car would deliver low 30's, but I haven't found that to be the case at interstate speeds.

Overall, I'd say that the car was fairly impressive. The media center and climate control were great and I look forward to driving the car to the NMRA race in Bowling Green in the Fall (but not as much as I'm jumping at the bit to get some track time in).

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I've put 4,200 miles since late March on my GT PP, no recaro. Most of the miles were roadtrip from OKC to - Houston, TX for TX2K 8 hour drive, Dallas 3.5 hr drive 3 separate times (short trip I know, but the I35 is shit)..

The S550 is so much improved over my '12 (same trim) in the ways you've described. I'm even slammed on sportlines, and the ride is very comfortable. My steering preference is the same, sport. I'm still stock shifter (built MT82, racespec, RXT in a couple weeks), but that is greatly improved feel. Maybe its 3 years of racing/DD experience with the MT82, but I prefer its feel over most other sticks now. The S550 actually being confidence inspiring until you're in high rpms, or shifting over rough surfaces at low speeds.

The media center is awesome, audio is improved from the shaker (although not as powerful sounding as my `12), A/C seats and other comforts are much appreciated! It's now an experience to drive my car, instead of just a means of affordable performance.

I have MBRP race, and the sound refinement is oh so noticeable lol! It feels like a quality semi-lux vehicle, but you still know its a mustang. By that I mean its still got some rattles. My '12 was horrible, but I've already located the causes. Those minor rattles should be an easy fix.

I had the opinion I was just buying another mustang when I ordered it. But, its proven to be a much improved car. I find myself more proud to say I drive a mustang than I have with my past ones.

Current mods when forming my opinions - Sportlines, MBRP Race catback, LU47's, E85 tune, JLT CAI, UPR braided catch, hood struts (shouldve come from factory)

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Longest trip I have done in mine is down to Rockwall to my wife's RA appt. most of the trip was really comfortable especially with the AC seats. My biggest complaint about the AC seats is that the back doesn't blow as cold as my FX4 does but that's minor IMO. I agree with pike that this car is completely different to drive from every aspect. I'll see you guys in MB this year when I log the 1300 miles from OKC. I'm looking forward to the drive.

BADBOSS

Established Member
Bought my R Red Vert GT 6 weeks ago. Already have 3200 miles on it :rockon:
Wife and I drove it from Reno to Palm Springs the first weekend we owned it and came away very pleased with our purchase. Averaged 23.9 mpg on a a brand new motor! I agree on the refinement level comment on the ride quality and cabin, it rides more like my M45 Infiniti than my Boss. It is tight, quiet (amazingly so for a vert.) and the creature comforts made the miles go by! I also found out that the top speed is governed at 135 (Dash lights tun Red) when I was crushing a new A6 that was getting cocky:pepper:
Could not be happier! Well played Ford!

Users who are viewing this thread