400HP possible on 97 Cobra N/A?

budguy1967

Established Member
I was just curious if a 97 Cobra can be modded to get 400 HP without the addition of NOS or Supercharger? If so, what parts do you recommend to get to 400HP.

I want good power without the high engine damage risks associated with NOS and superchargers. Thanks,

Wildpony

Established Member
It could probably be done if you had the motor rebuilt to one of the 5.0 sleeved bore, used ported heads, diff. cams-basically the stuff based on the FR500 engine or Sean Hyland type stuff. You would be close that way. I don't think I have seen anyone put 400 to the rear wheels on a 4.6 based N/A motor though.. At least not yet.

97 horse snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Wildpony
-basically the stuff based on the FR500 engine or Sean Hyland type stuff.

do you or anyone else have the exact specs on that motor? that's the new 5.0 cammer, yeah? i've been wondering the same thing about the n/a cobra's. what's the fastest 1/4 that a n/a 96-98 cobra has done?

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by blackfang
Yes it can be. A guy in our Mustang Club has 379 rwhp N/A on his 97 Cobra.
Can you give us the 411 on that bad boy? :-D

97 horse snake

Established Member
i remember reading somewhere that there were a couple of stroker kits available for our cars, but can't find the info anywhere. does anyone have any input on this? ie: hp gains, cost and all that.

rezcobra

Established Member
Talk to Paul at Paul's hp, he runs a N/A 4.6 spray bored to 5.0 that puts out around 650 hp. Off course its an all race engine but he could point you in the right direction. Sean Hyland was mentioned and he has a 450 hp N/A engine he sells. But the difference between the 96-98 and 98-02 Cobras engines are different heads and intake setup. Yes there was some 02 Cobras built and went mostly to Ford employees.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Hey Blackfang, how about some info. on your club members N/A 379 RWHP Cobra? Mod list PLEASE. :-D

Race4food

Established Member
Yes. Please post the combinatinon!!! I'm sure we would all like to know.

Here is my Combo coming this spring that should make 400-420 to the wheels.

Stock Cobra aluminum block sleeved to 3.70 bore with 10.5-11.1 pistons, fitted with good rods and a stock crank by Houston Performance.
Could also move to a 320 ci motor if I wanted to drop another $2500 for a stroker crank and rods.

Add Ported heads and Cams in addition to my current ported intake and exhaust.

All together should net a solid 390-420 to the wheels with over 330ft lbs from 3000-7000

Users who are viewing this thread