5 Lug conversion...average price???

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
How much does a 5 lug conversion usually cost? I was thinking around a grand with cobra front rotors/calipers and spindles. Out back can't you just run fox length 5 lugs with a different rotor? Is there a factory ford rotor that bolts right up? I know the wheels will be extra too I'm just wondering about the swap.

blownfox

Established Member
That is what I'm doing right now and when it is all said and done it will be close to $2500.00. if you buy used wheels and tire it will be cheaper. I picked up black FR500's and tires (new) for $1050.00. You should be able to pick up some Ranger drums (9 in) for the rear from an auto parts store pretty cheap.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
That is what I'm doing right now and when it is all said and done it will be close to $2500.00. if you buy used wheels and tire it will be cheaper. I picked up black FR500's and tires (new) for $1050.00. You should be able to pick up some Ranger drums (9 in) for the rear from an auto parts store pretty cheap.

they have those 5 lug conversion kits for like 400 bucks with drums in the rear on latemodelrestoration.com. Couldn't you just put rotors/spindles up front and axles and a different rotor out back?

breoland

Established Member
i am in the process of doing this to my 87 ttop car. i already have the 95 spindals and 04 cobra calipers. I have a 95 cobra rear from rotor to rotor...what else am i going to need to make it work for the rear

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
you need sn95 front brakes to fit most of the sn95 wheels and put the center cap on....really that's the only way to go

for the rear you can use fox length axles and convert it to disk but you have to relocate/buy a bracket to mount the calibers to.....or else the axles will be too short

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
What master cylinder to use with the cobra brakes. im doing it too. and since we dont have ABS or TC do we have to do anything special to the calipers?

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Whats the best master cylinder to use with the cobra brakes. im doing it too. and since we dont have ABS or TC do we have to do anything special to the calipers?

sorry double post

foxTERMbody

Banned
I am doing and have been doing a 5lug 4 wheel disk conversion. I bought used 94/95 hubs and spindles. I had new 94/95 ball joints install to the foxbody front a-arms. Reason being the spindle casting is thinner on a 94/95 than foxbody. A lot of people us spacers or washers. 13" cross drilled and slotted rotors with 04 Cobra calipers powder coated black. Running a 95 Cobra master and booster. You can use an GT or V-6 booster and master. Must be from 94/95 cuz of the eye loop and the way it mounts to the brake pedal. On the passengers side you will need a weatherhead fitting to adapt the brake line. Also you will need to run a proportioning valve and Maximum Motorsport 3-2 brake line tee for the rear brakes. Last you will need to gut your distribution block.

As for the rear brakes just run a complete disk brake rear end out of a 94-98.

Not sure of the cost cuz I piece it together of MANY months.

Good luck.

venomous99

Established Member
this is going on what i remember from 3 years ago when i did the conversion on my 92. obviously prices will vary depending on how well you're able to find deals on the used parts but i think prices i paid below are still market rate.
front
94-95 spindles $120
cobra front calipers/brackets & rotors $250
96 v6 master cylinder $30
93 cobra brake booster $125
summit prop valve(new) $60

rear
north race car brackets(new) $125
fox length axles $75
cobra rear rotors brake hardware, gt calipers $150

misc
parking brake cables(new) $60
SS lines(new) $125

total in brake hardware = $1120

wheels/tires
new bullets, used tires $1000

Total $2120

T94gt302

Established Member
I would check the classified's, for someone selling stock sn95 gt/v6 calipers/rotors you can probably get them for under $200, buy a set of axles and front spindles and your all set. All said and done it will much cheaper

venomous99

Established Member
theyre different since 93 has rear disc brakes. u can reuse your nuts from your gt/lx booster while sn95 has a different pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread