$530 for 30k mile scheduled maintenance?

modthispny

Established Member
When my service advisor told me today I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He said since my car is manual it's going to be about ~400 instead, I looked up what they actually do, it's pretty much a multi-point inspection, fuel/air filter change, check exhaust and that's pretty much it.

Is the 30k service really necessary though?

hawks05

i say change the fuel/air filter yourself and if you want pull off the tires and such to check the brakes. check coolant color. do an oil change if you need it.

lone sailor

Established Member
modthispny said:
When my service advisor told me today I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He said since my car is manual it's going to be about ~400 instead, I looked up what they actually do, it's pretty much a multi-point inspection, fuel/air filter change, check exhaust and that's pretty much it.

Is the 30k service really necessary though?

Well basically they are going to do a tune-up on your car. That is a very high price to pay for that service if you ask me. I'd be expecting to see some aftermarket part installations for that price. As far as having a manual transmission, it is easier, in my opinion, to change the trannsmission fluid in manual than an auto. I would definately find out what exactly they are charging you for.

03Ford46

Established Member
If all they are doing is a simple inspection of the standard things like hoses, belts, exhaust and that sort of stuff then they are trying to screw you out of hard earned money. Ask them what their hourly rate is, how many hours the Chilton manual claims those checks should take, print you a list of exactly what they are checking and remember they can't void your warranty if you take it to another shop as long as they are a licensed shop.

Matt94GT

Established Member
NO way I would spend that.

Buy fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, change oil, check brake fluid, flush rad, check ps fluid. It will cost you like $100 tops.

TurboASR

Established Member
Matt94GT said:
NO way I would spend that.

Buy fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, change oil, check brake fluid, flush rad, check ps fluid. It will cost you like $100 tops.
Last time I checked the plugs and wires didn't need to be changed out until 90k to 100k. Anywho to add to the list I'd replace the wipers, get the tires rotated and balanced, and do a tranny drain and fill.
-Viet

NMRARACER

Mod Muscle #10
Established Member
Its probably a tranny flush/fill, a coolant flush/fill , oil change and then just a bunch of inspections. So no..don't spend the money. Your coolant is good way beyond 30K as is gear oil. these are all things you can do yourself. 30K tune ups are rip offs.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread