'87 Fox Build Questions

dfw99cobra

Established Member
I've got a buddy who's getting an '87 Fox Vert, and he has asked me to do a little research for him. It is completely stock. I've got a decent working knowledge of modular motors but lack any real knowledge of 302's. He's looking to rebuild to a 347 stroker while keeping it fuel injected. He's also got plans of adding an SC down the road but for right now it's going to be all motor. This will be a daily driver so it needs to be somewhat streetable, but he is basicly performance oriented so it can be a little on the wild side. What I'd like to know is what parts he's going to need for the rebuild and where can I find competitive pricing on those parts? Any and all input is appreciated.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
AFR 185 heads
Anderson N-412 cam
1.6 rockers
Edelbrock Performer 2 intake
24lbs injectors
Larger mass air meter
70mm throttle body

I'm not sure who to get the stroker kit from. I'm sure Patrick knows where a good deal is.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
AFR 185 heads
Anderson N-412 cam
1.6 rockers
24lbs injectors
Larger mass air meter
70mm throttle body

I'm not sure who to get the stroker kit from. I'm sure Patrick knows where a good deal is.

I agree 100% with above combination.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
poopnut2 said:
AFR 185 heads
Anderson N-412 cam
1.6 rockers
24lbs injectors
Larger mass air meter
70mm throttle body

K I'll talk to patrick

EDIT: any tuning involved in any of this? Sorry for noob 302 questions.

Last edited:

alotahp92gt

Established Member
Ok here goes my thought. A 331 with around 9:1 comp, holley sysetmax upper and lower ( best blower intake IMO ) I say a 331 BC its a great motor and capable of running in the 10s all motor and high compression, but he wants to run a S/C sooner or later so I say a lower comp 331. AFR 185s w/ 1.6 rockers ( AFR recomends crane and hardened pushrods bc they use rod guide plates), the AFM cam as mentioned above. For the s/c an 80 mm maf for 42# injectors and a 70mm TB (both n/a nd s/c can use this TB) AFM has a power pipe that runs from the MAF to the S/C intake. You cant go wrong with an Eagle stroker kit. Stay away from hyperpathetic and cast components. Get the forged or CNC.
also you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to help tune.
As for tuneing set your FP around 40 to 45psi to start with and 12 to 14 deg of timeing. Don't forget a 190 to 255 LPH fuel pump to keep the motor happy. Then take the whole thing to the dyno and get a custome chip tune and you will be all set....

P.S. I am building a turbo 331 for my 92gt and my 89gt is just a 306 with a blower. (the whole combo is what I have mentioned above but in a 306... not enough cubes! LOL!)

alotahp92gt

Established Member
check your pm

dyno tune is what I was talking about... Thought I made that one clear... (not flaming)

Brian

Red hot pony

Established Member
I agree the 331 would be a better go. It can be very streetable and very wild at the same time. Also you,ll find more pepole like the 331 over the 347 because of the longjevety of the 331. Do a poll on it and I bet the 331 comes out on top.

Shaneo0oMac

Established Member
a 331 is goign in mine next spring and most people do prefer it over the 347 which becomes a expensive paperweight after 10,000 miles

DARTHVADER93

Established Member
I agree with the last two. 347's have a oiling problem. Central coast performance has fixed it but instead of moving the pin on the piston up the moved it to the side. So I am not for sure what kind of extra stress that puts on the walls. 331 would be a much more streetable car.

lone sailor

Established Member
In my experience the 347 storker will not give you the life nor the reiliability, especially is it's main use is a daily driver. Ther is too much side wall push and you wil not get near the amount of miles as you would will a 331. And as long as you keep the compression about stock then you will be fine adding a s/c later without having to worry about adjusting the compression. I would also recommend getting an all forged stroker kit. The added assurance is priceless, not to mention your bank account will thank you later. There are several manufacturers that make and sell stroker kits so the best thing tod o would be to research them until you feel comfortable that you've found the best for your application. I would also suggest that you upgrade to around a 42# fuel injector and an upgraded cam. The cam should be .550 lift or less at .50 with afr 185's if not 205's.

Edit: I'd also like to add that a convertible is not the best choice for a high hp car, but if that is the route they've choosen then they need to get a strut tower brace, new vert motor mounts, and subframe connectors. Just fyi, the chassis flex could severly damage this car.

Last edited:

dfw99cobra

Established Member
lone sailor said:
Edit: I'd also like to add that a convertible is not the best choice for a high hp car, but if that is the route they've choosen then they need to get a strut tower brace, new vert motor mounts, and subframe connectors. Just fyi, the chassis flex could severly damage this car.

My buddy got the vert because he got a killer deal on it, but I appreciate all the input that has been given in this thread.

bp03svt

Established Member
Like everybody else has said, tell him to do a 331 instead. I had a 347 and it didn't last long at all, prob about 9,000 miles before it needed to come out (it was my daily driver at the time also).

Users who are viewing this thread