89 LX Mods Opinions?

matt281

Banned
I am looking to start on my old 89 here pretty soon. I have multiple options running through my head and would like some opinions/experience with a few things I am wrestling with... Any other comments are fine also...

First off 1989 LX trunk car that is white with black exterior trim and red interior...:xpl:

Engine rebuild/performance mods
1) 347 stroker with edelbrock top end kit
2) 347 stroker with trick flow top end kit
3) 347 stroker with either a roots style or centrifical supercharger
4) Basic 302 rebuild with either a roots style or centrifical supercharger

Suspension rebuild/perfomance mods
1) MM 1987-89 Mustang hardtop Sport Box 1987-89 Mustang hardtop Sport Box [SB-1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
2) Any suggestions?

Brakes rebuild/perfomance mods
1) Any suggestions... I have seen many kits to convert to all disc from SSBC and FRPP

Interior
1) I am looking to change everything to black just need some suggestions on really good adjustable seats...

I appreciate all the help you can give and look forward to posting build pics soon.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
For the brakes, avoid the SSBC kit...they are not cool. Get the rear caliper brackets from North Race Cars, and build your own kit...it's not difficult, or very expensive.

I would stick with some type of MM suspension setup, they have quality stuff.

As for engine mods...what do you plan on doing with the car? Race it? Drive it?

And regarding the interior...I don't mind the red that much. When clean I think it looks pretty nice, and in a few years there won't be many left with either the red or blue interiors. I'd keep it that color, and just clean it up real nice, but that's me.

blownfox

Established Member
+1 for North Race Cars. I called him at 9 p.m. and he answered his phone and set me in the right direction.

for your engine (pending your goals) I would do #2, but would go with a custom cam and a S-trim. there is no point in doing a 347 with stock heads and a blower.

I had a great experience ordering my brake from MM, and will spend more money with them in the future.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah, I agree with the above in regards to MM. Every time I've called them they have been more than helpful.

I still don't want to give an answer about the engine until you let us know what you intend to do with the car, however, I agree that a stroker with stock heads is a bad idea.

wheelhopper

Established Member
If I was building from scratch I would drop in a 351. LMRS sells a 351 short block for $999 that you could easily get 425hp at the wheels. That might not sound like much with what some cars are putting out these days, but in a light foxbody notch you would have no problem running in the 11s.

Can't go wrong with MM for the suspension.

As far as brakes. Go with a '94-'04 Cobra system. There are many ways to do this. The simplest would be to install a complete rear from a '94-'98 GT or Cobra. They are 1.5" wider than the fox rear but you can still clear 275s. Then get some '94-'95 spindles. Other than that you need the 13" rotors, PBR calipers, flexible lines with adapters to fit your fox hardlines, and a different MC. MM can also help you with this swap.

matt281

Banned
thanks for the feed back so far....

As for the use of the car I plan to drive it to shows occasional track time and swift runs in the mountains

I am looking for a great sounding faster than most kinda car...

I would plan on usind aftermarket heads and intake on a 347 also...

My main goal is to not go the cheapest route but the easiest route... So a brake kit that would work with my existing rearend would be my choice along with the engine and I would assume using my engine block and so on would be cheaper...

I may stick with the red but I need to replace the seats as they are faded and do not know if it is best to go with a good aftermarket seat or an original type seat...

Thanks for the help once again...

wheelhopper

Established Member
The 351 short block would save you $ on machining and assembly.

From what I have seen buying a complete used rearend is cheaper than buying a conversion kit somwhere.

The red is cool. I would look for a good deal on aftermarket, black, seats. They will be much more supportive and look more modern. Just be sure to get a set that you can readily get seat brackets for. Mounting them is the most difficult part.

matt281

Banned
I think I may keep the red due to it will be much cheaper on the interior... Just a good cleaning and maybe a new headliner and rear seat delete...

I am wondering if the cost to just freshen up the 302 with some sturdy internals and go blown would be a great cheap reliable route for good HP...

I hear you guys talking about changing to the 351 but is it not cheaper to go with the route above??

Also what is wrong with the SSBC kit that would convert the rear to a 5 lug single piston caliper and the front to 5 lug dual piston caliper??

wheelhopper

Established Member
It all depends on what you are going to do with the motor and how much power you want to make. Sure it would be cool to have all forged internals, but if you are going to be happy with 400hp then I would go with the LMRS short block. You are going to spend $400 plus on cleaning and machining your 302 alone. Then you have to buy all the internals. If you don't plan on adding forced induction, the 351 with cast internals will be fine. Once my 302 gives up, I will be installing a LMRS supply 351 short block with aluminum heads.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I think I may keep the red due to it will be much cheaper on the interior... Just a good cleaning and maybe a new headliner and rear seat delete...

I am wondering if the cost to just freshen up the 302 with some sturdy internals and go blown would be a great cheap reliable route for good HP...

I hear you guys talking about changing to the 351 but is it not cheaper to go with the route above??

Also what is wrong with the SSBC kit that would convert the rear to a 5 lug single piston caliper and the front to 5 lug dual piston caliper??

I can't speak to that kit, but the 4 lug conversion kit they have is not very good at all.

As for the engine, Doug does have a point. I rebuilt the 302 in my car to a 331, and I think I spent around 5000 in parts alone. It would have cost me more, but my friend and I built the engine ourselves. It sounds great, but for the money if I were to do it again, I'd probably drop a terminator motor in it.

Price out the kits you want, and the engine Doug recommended. Look at the power levels you'll get from each, and the total cost of each. Take the route that best suits your needs.

matt281

Banned
Thanks a ton guys... Just a few more questions for ya..

Is LMRS late model restoration supply?

The 351 you mention... What top end would be needed to get 400hp+

Would that 351 hold up to a little boost from a turbo or supercharger...

What would I need on the top end to get 400hp+...

Once again ya'll have been a great help... I look forward to pulling all of this together and getting a ton of info back to ya..

Users who are viewing this thread