93 COBRA - 1 OF 9 IN VIBRANT RED ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra191

Established Member
Hey guys check this out, I was looking at the 93 cobras for sale on eBay and came across one that says it's one of only 9 vibrant red cobra's released. Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=2466384158
According to SCOA.org there were 9 cobras produced with the EY paint code but only one was released to the public. Could this be an extremely rare car??? Does anyone know if the and ES paint codes are both vibrant red? maybe those nine cars just have a different code but are the same color?

cobra1993svt

Established Member
I just checked my 93 Vibrant Red Cobra and the paint code is ES. I have heard about those 9 other red cars but have never seen them in person.IMO the car on E-bay is just a Vibrant Red Cobra.
I have the same color combination and I know mine is one of 362 made. The only way we will know for sure is if someone E-mails the guy and asks him the paint code. I am willing to bet that it says ES. Those nine (EY) cars might not have even been released to the public.I know a guy who says that the 9 EY cars is a misprint and should be corrected.

buddha93

Established Member
I saw that ad too. There's another one on there who states his is a "1 of 9" car also. He claims he is a car collector purest, with a few other cars. It just goes to show the ignorance of the car owners. I'd bet any amount of money both of these cars are the ES colors.

Cobrakid

prefers quick, over fast!
Established Member
I have a comment.....

Are the red regular 93s sort of orange????
...and the Vibrants are a better redder color????

I have seen Johnny Lightnings "red" 93, and he said he was
at a car show and a SVT rep approached him and said after
looking at his car, he had one that got slipped to the public.

Johnny always thought his car was off in color, and it turned
out to be a really rare Vibrant red one.

The guy on e-bay seems on the up&up, but I don't know.

The e-bay car is awesome, but by that same token, would you
want a flawless 93 Cobra with 1500 miles????? Would you
drive it, race it, abuse it??? prolly not, what fun would that be?

If you were rich and could just leave it stored & preserved next
to your other collector cars maybe, but how many people can
afford to do that????

I would love to have a nice Teal one with under 30k miles, but
I would have to trick it up a little. Those 93s hold there value
for some reason...more so that the 94-95s???

goodluck. .. .. with your discussion.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
What was the other red? I woulda' liked to have seen the '94 pace car red on a '93.

cobra191

Established Member
I got an email from the seller and he said the paint code is ES, so I gues he's mistaken and it's not one of the 9 EY cobra's. I'm still wondering if ES and EY are the same vibrant red. Why would ford make only 9 cars in a different color? I used to have a 92 limited edition convertible that was vibrant red. the funny thing is that the touch up paint for it was performance red. Unfortunately I dont remember what the paint code on that car was. I think that maybe the same color could have a different code for different years?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
ok here is the deal.

There is a ES paint code and a EY code. Both are vibrant red but the EY is vibrant red minus clearcoat. The test cars were non-clearcoated and one or two made it out to the public.

For the question above, vibrant red is a orangy red color

blk50cobra

Established Member
I believe Lee is correct about the difference in paint codes being the clearcoat. Ever notice the engine bay of red cobra is a different shade of red (not so orangey) because it's not clearcoated? I guess that would be EY. I have also noticed the same thing on red cobras where some clearcoat has chipped off the front bumper, different shade underneath. Maybe the clearcoat is not perfectly clear.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Maybe the clearcoat is a translucent coat, like a candy which is seni-transparent.

cobra1993svt

Established Member
I also talked to Johnny Lighting's wife and she did mention that he also had a red 93 Cobra but that it was Vibrant Red not the special EY red.IMO how hard would it be for Ford to never release those 9 EY paint cars? Not that hard at all.

MICH_427_Cobra

Established Member
Don't be suprised to find an EY car out there. I almost bought one from the Ford Motor Company "used car B lot" (old test vehicles, pool vehicles, etc) way back when the cars were new.

I passed it up because the paint was so horrificly oxidized. The car looked like it was flat red. It was definitely not a clear coat vehicle.

Anyway, I am sure that someone bought it....where it is today, who knows.

I cannot speak for the other 8 "EY" cars.

BTW, where can I get "ES" touch up paint?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You can get your touch up paint at a ford dealership, or prob. at parts stores. I get mine at a ford dealership.

Man, if that car could have been buffed out, you would have had one of the rarest cars produced. Course if it was trashed, then, oh well...

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Originally posted by LEE93COBRA
ok here is the deal.

There is a ES paint code and a EY code. Both are vibrant red but the EY is vibrant red minus clearcoat. The test cars were non-clearcoated and one or two made it out to the public.

For the question above, vibrant red is a orangy red color

Yes the ES and the EY are the same color. I've got a EY 93 GT(bought new) that does not have clearcoat. Oxidizes real quick you have to stay up on it. I've had it parked next to vibrant 93 Cobras there is no difference is color. They do look orange in certain light and the engine bay does look a darker red. Almost like it was painted the Performance red of that year. I've gotten touch up paint from local paint shops without any problems also.

vcmoore

Established Member
I read somewhere that Vibrant Red (ES) was actually Performance Red (EY) with the added clear-coat. EY+CC=ES

EDIT: Alright, I found these in some old articles of Venom.

January 1994 Q&A
Q - "The paint code for my Vibrant Red Cobra is ES, but the correct touchup paint has code EY and is called Performance Red. What Gives? Scott L. Boyer, TN."

A - "Ford does that. Keeps the counter people on their toes. Another example is the 80's Oxford White being the same as the 90's Pastel White, even though the go under different paint codes."

January 1995 Q&A
Q - "...I picked up a can of touch up paint and it's listed as Performance Red instead of Vibrant Red. Will this cause a problem?..."

A - "...Performance Red is Vibrant Red without the clearcoat. Both carry paint code ES...."

Also found this at www.paintscratch.com

ES_EY.jpg

From that sample, it appears our 93 Cobra engine compartment would be EY and the body ES. My guess as to the reason ES is now labeled as "Performance Red Clearcoat" and not "Vibrant Red" goes back to that first Q&A. Ford renamed paint code ES from Vibrant Red to Performance Red (w/clear coat). Thus why a "Vibrant Red" (ES) 93 Cobra is the same color as a "Performance Red" (ES) 2000 Cobra R.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrantredcobra

Established Member
93cobra-r

Originally posted by 93cobra-r
I read somewhere that Vibrant Red (ES) was actually Performance Red (EY) with the added clear-coat. EY+CC=ES

EDIT: Alright, I found these in some old articles of Venom.

January 1994 Q&A
Q - "The paint code for my Vibrant Red Cobra is ES, but the correct touchup paint has code EY and is called Performance Red. What Gives? Scott L. Boyer, TN."

A - "Ford does that. Keeps the counter people on their toes. Another example is the 80's Oxford White being the same as the 90's Pastel White, even though the go under different paint codes."

January 1995 Q&A
Q - "...I picked up a can of touch up paint and it's listed as Performance Red instead of Vibrant Red. Will this cause a problem?..."

A - "...Performance Red is Vibrant Red without the clearcoat. Both carry paint code ES...."

Also found this at www.paintscratch.com

ES_EY.jpg

From that sample, it appears our 93 Cobra engine compartment would be EY and the body ES. My guess as to the reason ES is now labeled as "Performance Red Clearcoat" and not "Vibrant Red" goes back to that first Q&A. Ford renamed paint code ES from Vibrant Red to Performance Red (w/clear coat). Thus why a "Vibrant Red" (ES) 93 Cobra is the same color as a "Performance Red" (ES) 2000 Cobra R.

Good Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread