93 cobra oil and filter questions

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Ok what oil do your guys use in your car. How much oil does it take? I was told 4.5 with filter change does that sound right? Also what filter do you guys use? I think I want to goto full synthetic but is that ok to do on these cars? Thanks for the help. :beer:

cobra1993svt

Established Member
I use Motorcrsft filters when I was showing the car. The judges would take off points if anything else was on the car. As far as oil. I used regular oil and now I use Mobil 1. But the car is now a garage queen. 4.5 seems about right I might use a bit more and check the level on the dipstick you should be fine

WillyB93

Established Member
I like using Valvoline, castorol GTX, and puroilator filters.

Rufus

Established Member
Oil & Filters

A synthetic oil is fine for a '93 Cobra.

I've used 10w-30 Mobil 1 from the first change at 1000 miles. I started using the Motocraft FL-1A filter, but switched to the Purolator PureOne when it came out. I worked in product engineering there, and saw test data showing how good the PureOne was compared to the competition, but that was back in about '96. Although I have no recent info about that filter, I'd guess it's still probably at least as good* as any filter available on today's market.

My Cobra isn't driven much anymore, and has about 201,000 miles, but it doen't leak or burn a bit of oil. It holds 5 U.S. quarts of oil with a filter change.

I also switched the tranny and rear to synthetics years ago...without looking at my records probably at around 25,000 miles.

* Meaning the efficiency of removing small debris particles and how much debris it can hold before it becomes plugged.

Last edited:

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Need to go buy some oil and a filter and change the oil. Just have not had any time to change it.

St8-E

Established Member
I use Amsoil and needed 5 qts. with the filter according to the dipstick. I used the Amsoil oil filter also (I use amsoil in EVERY motor I have, tractor, pressure washer, atv, etc.). Never had a problem with the stuff. Only issue i have ever had with Amsoil products was, go figure, with the Cobra. For some reason, when I first installed the filter it was VERY slowly dripping from the filter...no idea why. I checked tightness, other places it could be leaking from, even took the filter off, and scraped the block to make sure there wasn't a piece of the old filter seal left over...put another one back on and the same thing happened. I will NOT be buying another Amsoil filter for the Cobra. I have them on EVERY other vehicle that uses an oil filter with absolutely no problems, though!

kcp203

Established Member
5 quarts with filter change. Just fill it and ignore the dipstick. They are notoriously inaccurate on the 5.0 for some reason.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Mine takes 5 quarts. The dipstick is off. I think there was a "fix" for that from Ford back in the day, but mine never got it.

Edit - I use Pennzoil Synthetic 10W30

bossman302

Banned
Ford changed the oil pan in I think 90 or 91, Not sure which, it only takes 4 1/2 QTS, my 95 Cobra also holds 4 1/2 QTS. If I put 5 in it, it always show Overfull. And that is with drining both drain Plugs. I just changed the oil in my 92, it was dead on the line with 4 1/2 QTS after starting and oil presure commng up. I only run Motorcraft 10-w40 and FL-1A filters.

Users who are viewing this thread