95gt parts on a 87gt?

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i had a question.. i have a stock 87 gt. i bought a wrecked 95gt 5.0 not too long ago (whole car)... should i put any parts off of the 95 onto my 87?

is the engine in the 87 better than the 95?

my 87 is stock. my 95 has alot of mods, trickflow intake/plenum, msd igniton/blaster, bbk cai, few other things.

both are 5 speeds. are the trannies the same?

93sspcoupe

Established Member
the intake will work on the 87 as long as you remove the tbodie adapter which is needed for the 94 95 cars but not the 86 93 cars. blocks are the same front accesories are different on both engines as well. i think the coil will work on both models as well. i think the trans is the same too. put the rearend from the 95 into the 87 also for a 5lug swap

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
The basic motor is the same as said above. The transmissions are pretty much the same, except I believe the 94/95's had a longer input shaft. Could be mistaken though, it's been a while.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Use the complete rear axle, front spindles, calipers and rotors, and master cylinder for 5 lug as well as over all better brakes. The 95 wheels and tires should fit also untill you find something else you might want.

Did they have the electric fans in 95? That would be a good thing to swap as well.

How about the interior? You could update the look on the inside of your fox, if you wanted. Even though I prefer the look of my '85s GT interior over the any other fox or sn95 interior.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
that'll be fun converting it to 5 lug (no sarcasm).. i've never did it and i would be proud of it when i finish it. i heard you can use the whole rear axle but i thought i need something off of a ranger for the front? i can just use both front spindles from the 95?

i was gonna stay with 4 lugs because i have 4 lug Hammer and Star rims by Centerline. should i forget them? here's the pics. if so, i could put these on craigslist

my 87 currently with centerline star 4 lug:
l_5c1bab903b8441f78b8ed35a58171dde.jpg

not my car, centerline hammer 4 lugs:
images

the 87 wont start right now. i believe its something small. but i always had a problem with it blowing black smoke. if i cant fix that, then i'll just drop the 95gt motor into it. the 95 was suppose bored to .030

sscobra

Established Member
The 87 will have forged pistons while the 95 will have hypereutectic pistons. The forged are better. Use the front spindles and brakes and the rear end(don't waste time with ranger rotors). Keep in mind the rear axle housing is the same width as the 87. However, the 95 axles are wider. So keep that in mind when you decided on what wheels you want. Stock 94-10 wheels will fit with the 95 rear in the fox. Some of the aftermarket 9" or 10" might stick out. You can use 2 ranger right side only rear axles to get the stock fox length and then use northcar caliper brakets for the brakes. You'll also need an adapter fitting for the passenger side brake line. Use the brake booster and master cylinder. Find a sn95 v6 car to get the drivers side brake line to use on the 87. Also, use the e-brake handle and cables out of the 95. You will also need the e-brake cable connection piece(located in the trans tunnel under the console, you will have to drill the spot welds out). Just swap the intake to the 87 motor. The ignition coils are the same. The bellhousing and the input shaft on the 95 trans. are different. They are longer than the 87 parts. If there is nothing wrong with your trans. I wouldn't mess with it. FYI, if you interested in selling the bellhousing shoot me a pm. PM me if you need any help with swap stuff. Good Luck!

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
thanks for the advice.

i think i'm gonna swap the whole modified 95gt motor into the 87 body. should fit with no problem right? i also think i'll swap it with the transmission still attached. i know i remove the motor mounts and such. i should be able to see where the transmission comes unbolted from the car. i'm taking them out in one whole piece.

gonna put the 5-lug onto the 87.. comes with drilled rotors. i figure i can make it another show car. i have a 4" cowl hood and a saleen wing for it. right now its calypso green. should i repaint it calypso green or change the color?

the current 87 motor blows black smoke and i'm afraid of taking a chance on it. i dont wanna drive it and then it breaks down on me somewhere. i feel confident with the 95gt motor. my female friend drove it everyday to work so its reliable. its wrecked but i still drive it around my yard with no problem.

will the exhaust off my 87 fit onto the 95gt motor? i have offroad h-pipes on both.

i found a "how to" article on removing the rear axle. i'll have to find it again

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
"You'll also need an adapter fitting for the passenger side brake line."
where do i buy this?

"Find a sn95 v6 car to get the drivers side brake line to use on the 87."
does it have to be a v6? cant use the one of the wrecked 95gt?

"Also, use the e-brake handle and cables out of the 95."
ok, so thats just a simple swap?

You will also need the e-brake cable connection piece(located in the trans tunnel under the console, you will have to drill the spot welds out).
i'll look for it

The bellhousing and the input shaft on the 95 trans. are different. They are longer than the 87 parts."
does that mean i cant swap the 95gt motor/trans into the 87 as one piece.. i'll have to keep the original 87 trans?

do i keep the stock fan and radiator?

i plan to take almost everything i can off the 95 before i junk it. driveshaft, brake lines, complete engine bay, radiator

sscobra

Established Member
"You'll also need an adapter fitting for the passenger side brake line."
where do i buy this?
Mustang SN95 Rear Brake Line Adapter Fitting 79-93 NEW: eBay Motors (item 110172941684 end time Aug-06-10 21:05:26 PDT)

I have bought from this person before. They have good service. Also, you can track down the weatherhead part# for this fitting and go searching for it or just get it from this guy.

"Find a sn95 v6 car to get the drivers side brake line to use on the 87."
does it have to be a v6? cant use the one of the wrecked 95gt?

Yes it needs to be a V6, non-abs car. This line will plug into the back of your existing
proportioning valve on the 87. I'll try and get the pic when I get home.

"Also, use the e-brake handle and cables out of the 95."
ok, so thats just a simple swap?

Yes. If you use the 95 cables, e-handle, and bracket under that trans tunnel.

"The bellhousing and the input shaft on the 95 trans. are different. They are longer than the 87 parts."
does that mean i cant swap the 95gt motor/trans into the 87 as one piece.. i'll have to keep the original 87 trans?"

You can swap the 95 motor and trans directly in. Leave the motor mounts from the 95(they are better than the 87). However, you might have to modifiy the trans. mount and you'll need to check the clearence on the drive shaft. The 95 trans will output shaft will be 5/8" closer to the rear end. Just verify you have enough play with the yoke on the driveshaft and the output shaft of the trans.

"do i keep the stock fan and radiator?"

I would keep the stock radiator. The 95 mounts different. You could mod it to work but it's not really worth it. You could also mod the electric fan to work if you chose(I would).

"i plan to take almost everything i can off the 95 before i junk it. driveshaft, brake lines, complete engine bay, radiator"
Get all the parts you can. However, you won't need any of the brake lines off the 95 for the swap. So don't waste the time to get them off. Save the gas tank, abs module, and the other things mentioned.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Black smoke is a rich condition. You probably have a bad fuel pressure regulator, or a bad vacuum line running to it. Could be ignition related too. In any case, black smoke out of the tail pipes = unburnt fuel. Blue = oil, white= coolant.

I'd swap the brake system from the 95 over, as well as the intake, and ignition systems. Might as well use the wheels too while you are at it.

Users who are viewing this thread