96-98 Headers

svtmustang04

Established Member
Thinking about putting headers on my 96. Which is the way to go long tube or shorty. how is the install. Personal experiences appreciated. Thanks for the help.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
All depends on your wallet, hp wants and mechanical know how.
I could say FRPP ceramic coated shorties, they worked good on my 97 and weren't horribly bad to install. LT's might suit your purpose more though. Could use a bit more background info about your plans with the car.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Get longtubes. The install I heard is a little tricky. Some people say you have to lower the K member, others say you don't.

97SVTStang

Established Member
Yes long tube headers are the way to go. And yes the correct way to install them is to lower the K-member, I have heard they can be done without taking that k member out but it saves half the time and makes life a whole lot easier if you do. I always drop the K-member when i install a set.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I had mine installed but the dude who installed the had a pretty long day doing it.
I have BBK LT headers with a BBK catted h-pipe and an American Thunder (Flowmaster) cat back = pretty awesome sound :)

SNK BITN

Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
No votes for the mid-lengths?

Perhaps not enough people have used them to comment on them. I've seen them on several cars and the fit looks to be excellent. If I could do it over again I would try that route.

SVTMUST97

Established Member
Go with BBK Lt and you will enjoy it. It's no0t that hard to install but time comsuming.

NoRcAl CoBrA

Established Member
i would go with kooks or shm i have kooks know i like them sound good or even the hookers they both allow you to drop the tranny with out pulling the header plus you get what you pay for

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
I had mine installed but the dude who installed the had a pretty long day doing it.
I have BBK LT headers with a BBK catted h-pipe and an American Thunder (Flowmaster) cat back = pretty awesome sound :)

Have you had it smogged since you did this? just wondering if they look at that type of stuff cause I want to get the bbk lt's

DAN MCGRAW

I am having the Bassani mid-length headers put on this weekend. I will post the #,s on Monday after the dyno.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by BIG DOG
I am having the Bassani mid-length headers put on this weekend. I will post the #,s on Monday after the dyno.

Post pics of the process if possible Big Dog.........I've considered the Bassani's myself..:beer:

DAN MCGRAW

The bassani mid-legth headers are on.

Before the headers
404rwhp
348rwtq

With the bassani mid-legth headers
462rwhp
460rwtq

Fast 96 Asp

Established Member
Originally posted by BIG DOG
The bassani mid-legth headers are on.

Before the headers
404rwhp
348rwtq

With the bassani mid-legth headers
462rwhp
460rwtq

You got 58 hp and 112 lb/ft trq with just mid-length headers? My HUGE BS flag is-a-wavin

Users who are viewing this thread