'96 Cobra vert - new best!

Droptop Snake

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
I went to the track today to run Josh (SCStang88). For probably the second time ever, I was there before the gates opened. We ended up 1 and 2 in Lane 2, but the track guy pulled both lanes and I ended up running someone else. I hadn't seen anyone doing any prep on the track at all, but was told that there had been some sort of event there on Monday with 7-second cars running, and that the track had been prepped to kill.

I tried a 4k launch on my 1st pass, dead-hooked, and fell out of the powerband... really, I damn near stalled the car coming off the line. I think I got moving with fewer than 1200rpm.

R/T ---.053
60' ---1.934 - on M/T DRs? Blah
330 ---5.229
1/8 ---7.825
MPH --96.20
1000 --10.465

Didn't want to get shut down after one run, so I got on the brakes.
1/4 ---14.178
MPH --51.94

Since the car gripped so well, I figured I'd raise the launch rpm and try to slip the clutch a little to get it moving. Once Josh and I had staged, I started bringing the engine speed up but the car started moving out of the lights. I pressed the parking brake button and yanked the handle up to keep the car still, and took my eyes off the track while I did so. When I looked back up, the Tree was just clicking from the 2nd to 3rd amber light. I dropped the brake handle, got the revs up to around 5k and let the clutch out fast.

The car ripped out of the hole with the nose twisted so much that it felt like it was carrying the left front wheel. By the 60' mark I was out on Josh by 6 tenths. No way I was shutting down on that pass. I completed the run and pulled over in the grass to wait for Josh. He pulled up and asked if I was ok, then said,

"I think you just went 11.2."

shock.gif
"No..."

"No dude, I saw it. I'm pretty sure I saw 11.2 on the board."

Oh sh*t. Um...
nervous.gif

I rolled up to the booth like a 6-year-old who'd just broken the screen on his dad's computer. The time shack guy looked at me and handed me my slip. I started rolling away and turned on the light.

R/T ---.206
60' ---1.668 (holy crap)
330 ---4.791
1/8 ---7.307
MPH --98.87
1000 --9.465
1/4 ---11.276
MPH --123.95

faint.gif

Subframes should be installed within the week. Thought the car was going to throw me out the passenger window on that launch.

Last edited:

jvert

Established Member
WOW!!! Great numbers, love to see the verts doing well at the track!!

Droptop Snake

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Very nice times! What are your mods?

+.030 Forged internals (CP pistons/Manley billet rods)
Vortech JT-Trim w/ 2.95 RR pulley
eBay air-to-air intercooler
Accufab oval TB
Hooker LTs, o/r X
Viper-spec T56
Auburn HD 31-spline diff
FRPP 3.73s
FRPP axles
SSM uppers/Lakewood lowers
Glenn's Performance 950hp fuel system w/ -10 midsection
Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers
Fluidyne radiator

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Damn man that's hauling the mail! Really interesting since we have a VERY similar setup.. down to the gears and mods lol.. I have a 2.9 RR pulley on my D1-SC seeing around 21 psi.. get's retuned on a fresh motor this week. How much boost / power are you making? And how the **** did you not break anything lol.. I need to know this.. I fail and break something everytime.

Droptop Snake

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Damn man that's hauling the mail! Really interesting since we have a VERY similar setup.. down to the gears and mods lol.. I have a 2.9 RR pulley on my D1-SC seeing around 21 psi.. get's retuned on a fresh motor this week. How much boost / power are you making? And how the **** did you not break anything lol.. I need to know this.. I fail and break something everytime.

I dynoed this past Saturday at Central Florida Motorsports' Dyno Day. At 99 degrees outside temp, I made 530/453 at 16psi on the 1st pull, and 528/450 at 15.8psi on the 2nd.

I have a 2.75 pulley sitting on the back seat...
893goof_vs_evil.gif

Last edited:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
That is awesome bro. You need to bring it up to SDR and run it in the NMRA race. I'd love to see it run with that back seat pulley.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I dynoed this past Saturday at Central Florida Motorsports' Dyno Day. At 99 degrees outside temp, I made 530/453 at 16psi on the 1st pull, and 528/450 at 15.8psi on the 2nd.

I have a 2.75 pulley sitting on the back seat...
893goof_vs_evil.gif

Didn't you win the highest HP award at the VMP/CFM dyno day?:rockon:

Droptop Snake

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Yes sir!
kneel.gif

lol j/k There were a few higher-powered cars on property (coughcoughsprayed03vertcough) but I took top numbers of all the entries.

I had to call Steve and let him know that he and his Procharged C6 had the highest numbers of the day until I hit the rollers... I think his head popped.

Users who are viewing this thread