97 Cobra: No Start

Stalkerfiveo

Established Member
97 Cobra won’t start.

Pulled the battery after trickle charging for 24 hours and had it tested at Oreilleys. It’s only 3 months old and checked out fine.

Sounds like the starter engages but won’t turn the motor over.

Thoughts? Bad starter? Vid link below.

97 Cobra No Start

Stalkerfiveo

Established Member
Can you get under and smack the starter it sounds like it’s a sticking

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Thanks for making me feel dumb. I should have tried this when I had it on stands yesterday. I can definitely get to it to hit. I got under there to realize replacing it would totally suck. Looks like the mid-pipe has to come off first. ‍

Great idea. Def seems to be sticking. If I bump the key 6-8 times the battery posts are warm. So it’s definitely drawing.

Any other things to try when I get it back on stands in the morning? Haha.

Last edited:

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
Grab a multimeter, set to DC 20v

Place one test lead on the starter solenoid's (+) and the other lead on the starter metal housing itself

Have someone turn the key to the "start" position; 12.5v+ verifies the starter is at fault and that you have continuity in the circuit(which it sounds like you do)

Since your battery is known-good, if voltage is present at the starter but is <12v then check the wires for corrosion or looseness

If you're a Masochist and feeling particularly shade-tree you can alternatively short the starter terminals with a screwdriver.. :D

Stalkerfiveo

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up getting up early, dropping the exhaust , and swapping a new starter in.

Had to take the old one in for the core anyways, so had them bench test it. Locked up tight AF.

Got the new one with a lifetime warranty (though, I hope to never need to do this again) and fingers crossed it lasts a while.

Now, on to fixing the original issue that I backed it out of the garage for…..oil cooler failed and rebuild. DOH!

Users who are viewing this thread