98 gt questions?

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Hey I am new here but i read that some 98 have rare pi motors that the 99's have they say that if they were built in late 98 and mine was build 8/98 how would i know if i have the pi motor or not thanks
Shaun

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Your car should be faster than a 99 if you got the PI heads. The 96-98's had a larger chamber in the head, so to have a decent compression ratio the pistons had no dish to them. The 99+ heads have a smaller combustion chamber, so to keep our compression similar they used dished pistons. So putting the smaller CC PI heads on the 96-98 motors nets a high compression ratio of around 10.5 to 1. This is higher than the 9.7 of the 2001+ motors even, so naturaly the higher the compression ratio the more HP you'll make. I doubt you got the PI heads though. There were only a couple hundred that got that lucky. One sure way is to find the part number on the heads and cross it to the PI part numbers.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
PI head cast # is RFXL-CZOD normal PI head.
Truck & Bullit PI head cast # RF1L2E-6090-D22D (or D24D) Same CC combustion chamber as other PI heads, just with non PI style cam caps.

96-98 head cast # RF-5FAE-AE

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The cast # should be on the head not a sticker. It should be on the exhaust side between the valve cover and exhaust manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread