98 motor

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
1/4 miles help?

hey i have a 98 gt does anyone have any tips on how to get the best 1/4 times thank shaun

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If you haven't installed an aftermarket shifter, DO THAT!!! A Pro 5.0 or Steeda Tri-Ax are excellent choices. They both have very good quality, positive shift stops, and a spring loaded tower that helps that 2 to 3 shift.

Learn how to launch the car without bogging. A very little wheel spin won't hurt you. Start out by launching at around 1600 RPM's. Hold it there and start out on the clutch, after it catches and just as it starts to pull, squeeze into the throttle. Remember clutch first then throttle. Squeeze progressively harder until you find where the car hooks the most and doesn't just start spinning.

Once you have the launch down pat, shift the car at 5500 HARD. You have an aftermarket shifter now hopefully. Just hold the gas to the floor and snatch the heck out of the next gear at 5500. Yes you can use the clutch, but you must do this as fast and as fearless as you can. You won't hit the 6200 rev limitter if you do this FAST! Your RPM's won't drop as far and you'll keep the car working in it's stock powerband more.

Good luck.

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
thanks for the tips i was looking at one of thoes shifters and hope to put one in soon.so shifting u dont have to use the clutch with a pro 5.0 shifter???? and one more thing do u have good shift points for each gear thanks

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Once you leave the line you don't have to use the clutch. I still do because the clutch is easier to replace then the transmission.

Shift points are about the engines powerband, not gearing specific. 5500 is about the best, your MPH may drop some but your ET will also. Torque is the 2V signature, not HP. Revving to 6200 usually gets higher MPH, but often costs you ET.

Here is my stock timeslip. The car only had a CAI

Users who are viewing this thread