A/f gauge shows lean

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
Rings are good, no blow-by and compression is way the heck up there. It's going to be a month or so before I can tear out the cam. I have another problem, put in a new high volume oil pump (keep in mind that all the bearings are new) and the best oil pressure I can get with 20/50 when the engine is hot is 30 psi and a max at 6500 of 59 psi. I think I should just sell the pistion/rods/heads/etc in parts and just start the hell over.

GO MODULAR 4.6 :rockon:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Rings are good, no blow-by and compression is way the heck up there. It's going to be a month or so before I can tear out the cam. I have another problem, put in a new high volume oil pump (keep in mind that all the bearings are new) and the best oil pressure I can get with 20/50 when the engine is hot is 30 psi and a max at 6500 of 59 psi. I think I should just sell the pistion/rods/heads/etc in parts and just start the hell over.
Ok..cool....then I'd wager a cam issue for sure.

IDK man.....I'm not one for oil psi I'll be the first to admit that, but 30 psi, then ~60 at upper rpms sounds about right....regardless of weight because of viscosity at operating temp. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong though. I hate breeding ignorance. LOL
So how often does this happen
New news to me...( im with stupid )
+1......Never knew those were issues and I've owned 3 mod cars.:shrug:

thumper_302

Established Member
I was raised with this rule (for every 1000 RPM you should have at least 10 psi). 2000 RPM/20psi 4000 RPM/40 psi etc etc etc.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I was raised with this rule (for every 1000 RPM you should have at least 10 psi). 2000 RPM/20psi 4000 RPM/40 psi etc etc etc.

Yes, but you're at 60 @ 6500.....I've never heard of anyone being higher that mid 60s, and that was a 7k+ redline motor.:shrug:
I be recalling wrong though.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
After reading this over again and considering the compression checks out, i think you guys are on the right track with regards to the cam. it sounds like something related to the valvetrain, whether it be the cam or valves.

I know you said you have Twisted Wedge on now. who did the valve job? were the previous heads inline?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
After reading this over again and considering the compression checks out, i think you guys are on the right track with regards to the cam. it sounds like something related to the valvetrain, whether it be the cam or valves.

I know you said you have Twisted Wedge on now. who did the valve job? were the previous heads inline?

:beer: ALways good to have a second opinion.

thumper_302

Established Member
Man, you guys are awsome. Some of the best idea's and question on the net. Car came with the heads. One of the best machine shops in the southwest did the work and also check them when we had them off this last time. Lew's Vinton Automotive.

As for the plugs. Yes, all of them are covered. I don't remeber if I told you guys this. When we had the cam set at TDC, we had the same stuff inside the intake. Now that we retarded the cam 4 degree's the intake is clean.

I am saving up for a custom ground cam. Going with:

540 Lift
108 Lobe Seperation
Duration@50 Intake 248 Exhaust 252

Small lobe seperation is to help with the altitude and the large Duration is for the big side.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
As for the plugs. Yes, all of them are covered. I don't remeber if I told you guys this. When we had the cam set at TDC, we had the same stuff inside the intake. Now that we retarded the cam 4 degree's the intake is clean.

540 Lift
108 Lobe Seperation

Small lobe seperation is to help with the altitude and the large Duration is for the big side.

Sounds like a good, tight street cam. hopefully this cures the problem. good luck man. :beer:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Man, you guys are awsome. Some of the best idea's and question on the net. Car came with the heads. One of the best machine shops in the southwest did the work and also check them when we had them off this last time. Lew's Vinton Automotive.

540 Lift
108 Lobe Seperation

Just trying to do my part in the performance community...............even if I dont' have one anymore. :lol::beer:
Sounds like a good, tight street cam. hopefully this cures the problem. good luck man. :beer:
:beer:

thumper_302

Established Member
UPDATE!

Well, ground from the battery to the block and the MSD box to the same ground on the block. Plugs are burning clean now. Pulled them out today after a 5 mile in town drive and the black crap was almost gone. I could really feel the difference and decided to pull the plugs. Man was I fKn happy.

Next week we are pulling the pan to check the oil pump. Dickie at Dickie's Racing said that he can set the pump up to put out what he tell's it to by working the spring. I would feel alot better if I had just a little more oil pressure.

Last, I need to start a new thread but if anyone know's where I can get a head light switch bezel for a (79-86) Mustang. Mine broke.

Thanks for all the help.

Pete

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread