About to join the Focus SVT ranks...and recommendations

TexasRoe

Devil Dog
Established Member
Hey Yall,

About to purchase either a 2002-2004 Focus SVT this week for a DD and so my '12 GT500 has a SVT friend in the garage. I don't know much about cars without 8 cylinders but Ive heard nothing but good things about these cars and Im looking for any advice, gouge, warnings on what to look out for, mod, etc. Just trying to become educated on this car. Thanks.

G-forces

Established Member
Get the 2004, they had most of the early issues ironed out by then. If it's tuned well, you're going to love it for the handling, even if it won't push you back in the seat like the Mustang.

Steve@Tasca

My SVT has been my daily for ten years now, from -40 degrees to 100+ and it's never let me down once, best car I've ever owned and it's still fun to drive after all these years.

That said, they are quirky cars and require a very hands on owner to keep them in top form. Do not expect to buy one and just drive it and ignore it, it's not an economy car either so expect low to mid 20s in town and upper 20s to low 30s on the freeway.

It's also an interference engine so the timing belt has to be done about every nine years or 90k miles whichever comes first, if the one you're looking at does not have documentation as to when the last belt change was done you should plan on having it done immediately.

I don't mean to be a downer but I love these little cars and I hate to see people buy them expecting something else and next thing you know the car is resold or is getting parted out for some ridiculous reason.

-Steve

Rentlyrent

Established Member
I love mine and haven't driven it but maybe 500 miles. Mine had water in the engine and broke a ring. I knew it when I bought it but took a chance. I'm having the engine rebuilt as we speak. They handle great, are very comfortable, and fairly easy on the fuel (easier than a V8 anyway). I have an 04 Sonic Blue 3 door.

brucesvt - Looks like a decent buy. That's what I paid for my 04 but mine has a flood title. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you may want to shop for an 04 as they had the "bugs" worked out....and projector headlights.

Those buying an 04, I've found that I have to order everything for an 03 since any time I order 04 SVTF parts they turn out to be ZETEC parts. If I say it's an 03 the parts are correct.

Steve@Tasca

I love mine and haven't driven it but maybe 500 miles. Mine had water in the engine and broke a ring. I knew it when I bought it but took a chance. I'm having the engine rebuilt as we speak. They handle great, are very comfortable, and fairly easy on the fuel (easier than a V8 anyway). I have an 04 Sonic Blue 3 door.

brucesvt - Looks like a decent buy. That's what I paid for my 04 but mine has a flood title. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you may want to shop for an 04 as they had the "bugs" worked out....and projector headlights.

Those buying an 04, I've found that I have to order everything for an 03 since any time I order 04 SVTF parts they turn out to be ZETEC parts. If I say it's an 03 the parts are correct.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a clean 2002, mine is an '02 and it's been more reliable than plenty of '04s out there. It's all about how the car has been cared for all it's life.

Also Rentlyrent, if you want the right parts for your SVT just PM me, e-mail me at [email protected] or call 1-800-598-1484, not only do I know these cars better than any Ford parts man in the country I also own and maintain mine and I can make sure you guys get the best parts pricing out there.

-Steve

Rentlyrent

Established Member
I agree that a lot is how the car has been kept. We have a 1980 Pinto with 240k miles on it that's all original. All the previous owner did was replace the timing belt twice and routine maintenance. Moral of the story: take care of them and they'll take care of you.

Steve, thank you. I don't know why it's so hard to get 04 SVTF parts but all of the major parts stores have a really hard time with it. The computers even list it as a SVT but all of the parts I've tried don't work. Crazyness

Ubergeist

Established Member
I know its an older thread, but what issues with the 02-03? Just clutch related or other things?

Steve@Tasca

I know its an older thread, but what issues with the 02-03? Just clutch related or other things?

Clutch. Timing belt, idler and tensioner. Coolant leaks, various squeaks and rattles. Timing belt is the only thing that's vital to the life of the engine.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread