Admissions question and suggestions needed

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well, my little brother has decided that college is not for him at this time. Due to the economy, there are no jobs available where he can make a decent living with having only 1 semester of college education. He is serious about joining the military but seems to be getting a lot of questionable information.

He is 19 years old, 6' - 200 pounds which is about 5-10 lbs above his in shape 'ideal' weight. He has above average strength and muscular endurance. He is smart enough to be anything he wants that doesn't require high level mathmatics (I'm talking multiple semesters of calculus, differential equations, and discrete mathmatics). College didn't workout for him for multiple reasons, 1 being parental divorce issues and another being that I believe he has an undiagnosed slight case of ADD. He has a pretty strong interest in electronics.

Here's the main problem: he got a possession citation for marijuana about 10 months ago, $180 fine. Only legal trouble he has ever gotten in. He spoke with an Army recuiter who pretty much told him that he could only get in with a waiver and that no other branches will accept him. Is this true?

He will join the Army but I just want to make sure that he doesn't dismiss other options that may be available to him. Thanks for any/all responses

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Well, my little brother has decided that college is not for him at this time. Due to the economy, there are no jobs available where he can make a decent living with having only 1 semester of college education. He is serious about joining the military but seems to be getting a lot of questionable information.

He is 19 years old, 6' - 200 pounds which is about 5-10 lbs above his in shape 'ideal' weight. He has above average strength and muscular endurance. He is smart enough to be anything he wants that doesn't require high level mathmatics (I'm talking multiple semesters of calculus, differential equations, and discrete mathmatics). College didn't workout for him for multiple reasons, 1 being parental divorce issues and another being that I believe he has an undiagnosed slight case of ADD. He has a pretty strong interest in electronics.

Here's the main problem: he got a possession citation for marijuana about 10 months ago, $180 fine. Only legal trouble he has ever gotten in. He spoke with an Army recuiter who pretty much told him that he could only get in with a waiver and that no other branches will accept him. Is this true?

He will join the Army but I just want to make sure that he doesn't dismiss other options that may be available to him. Thanks for any/all responses

Well the waiver part is correct. As far as the Army being the only branch to accept him? that is questionable at best and unlikely. My best friend who enlisted at the same time as me had a drug possession for marijuana and a DUI at the age of 18 and he got a waiver for the USMC. Now keep in mind this was 03 when Iraq was starting to get real hot. If he is interested in electronics he can look into the Air Force, i would say that their need for electronics techs would be higher since they have the most equipment. If he is looking for experience, id say to go Army or Marines, get Airborne in his contract and go all out from there. If i had to do it all over again i wouldnt change a thing minus letting my recruiter dick me! If he was actual civilian experience id look into getting a more conservative job instead of grunt work. Another thing is to make sure that HE has the recruiter by the balls, make him work for your brother, They HAVE to put in 2 a month. If he really wants something and its not available, tell him to wait it out, it will be available sooner than later.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
If I were you I would go and check out and talk to all the other recruiters of the military branches. They will let you know forsure if you can join or not.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Wouldnt surprise me if AF/Navy werent taking waivers. Only way to know is to ask recruiters. GL

AlanSVT

Established Member
OK. lets see here I enlisted in the army in May 2002. In March of 2002 I had a possession charge. I talked to the army recruiter. He told me I needed a waiver. So I had to go talk to the recruiter battalion commander. I was in there with the BC for about 20 mins. He just wants to make sure that you know that your not allowed to do any of it anymore and also wants to see if your the kinda person that would or would do it again.

Keeps us informed of the out come. I would like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread