All current, former and future AF's...

CEV

Established Member
Ok as of the past few weeks I have really been doing some thinking on where exactly my life is heading and one thing that keeps recurring in my head is giving the USMC another go.

I say "another" because I have already been down this route before. Unfortunately the first time I had a recruiter who was more interested with just getting me through MEPS then actually making sure I was ready to go and I collapsed inside MEPS due to malnutrition. (He wouldn't let me drink too much water, had me sit in a sauna for 3 hours straight every day, work out for 3 hours daily, and I was barely allowed to eat just so I could cut weight fast enough) I dropped from 239 to 213 in 3 weeks so I could pass the physical. But that's another story altogether.

Anyway, they said I could try again in 6 months but by that point I was totally disgusted I just joined the work force again and said ill just stick to college. Now I have been in college for a year and a half, been working full time due to the fact I need to pick up the slack since my step-father is out of work from a home accident. (Truck fell on him). I am not moving along fast enough as I would like to and the way its looking I may need to drop out of school period. I was already accepted to the NYPD I just needed my college credits. However I also know 4 years of military service would suffice as well. The idea of the marines never totally escaped my head and it was always something I was very adamant about and now seeing the way things are going now I am considering it again. (FYI I was 21 the first time I'm 23 now)

Now for my question or questions. Do you guys currently active think this is a good idea? Or am I blowing smoke up my own ass? I know the worst thing you can do for something like this is ask other people because they will just confuse you more but I just don't want to make a mistake. I respect the armed forces and aside from the monetary aspect of it I feel it would propel me further where I want to go in my life. How do you guys deal with missing your families? I feel like if something were to happen to my mother while I'm gone I would never live with myself. I am rambling now but I think I made my point. I would really like some honest opinions from those who have been there.

Thanks guys.

99navert

Established Member
If something would happen to your mother you would be able to take emergency leave, you could even get sent home from the desert if it was serious enough. Aside from that you get 30 days a leave a year, and you could even get lucky enough to get stationed near home so that on your weekends you could go home and visit.

The choice is up to you if you want to go in...
If you have any other more specific questions or concerns I'd gladly answer them for you. I spent four years in the Air Force & my father did 20 in the Marines.

Users who are viewing this thread