Any current/former Naval Flight Officers/Aviators?

Gordonfan24

Established Member
I saw FLYIN's thread about Marine aviation and that was very useful. I'm looking more for opinions on Naval Flight Officers (and Aviators) in particular.

At the moment, I can't say I'm ready/interested in talking to a recruiter. I'm not in great shape (5'10 235), for one... but I'll go to a recruiter once I do all my homework.

Anyway, what kind of process am I looking at if I wanted to become an NFO or Aviator?
Route 1: Apply for BDCP before graduation... graduate with my two degrees (one in Mech. Engr. and one in Aerospace Engr.)... go to OCS and commission... then flight school, etc?
Route 2: Graduate with said degrees, then OCS and commission, then flight school?
Like I said, FLYIN's thread was very useful. I'm just not 100% sure about the variations between the Marine route and the Navy route. I am on the fence between Aviator or Flight officer, but I am leaning towards the latter.

I apologize if this seems uneducated or incorrect. It's just that I always hear "the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked." And this is a program I might be interested in, provided I can get in shape and get my GPA up (2.92 now). I want to follow in my father, uncle, and grandfathers' footsteps and serve my country; I am sort of doing so (in my own way) with an internship at NAVAIR, but I want more.

I appreciate any input or experiences.
And as a side note, thanks to everyone in service or prior service!

recalcitrant

Established Member
I saw FLYIN's thread about Marine aviation and that was very useful. I'm looking more for opinions on Naval Flight Officers (and Aviators) in particular.

At the moment, I can't say I'm ready/interested in talking to a recruiter. I'm not in great shape (5'10 235), for one... but I'll go to a recruiter once I do all my homework.

Anyway, what kind of process am I looking at if I wanted to become an NFO or Aviator?
Route 1: Apply for BDCP before graduation... graduate with my two degrees (one in Mech. Engr. and one in Aerospace Engr.)... go to OCS and commission... then flight school, etc?
Route 2: Graduate with said degrees, then OCS and commission, then flight school?
Like I said, FLYIN's thread was very useful. I'm just not 100% sure about the variations between the Marine route and the Navy route. I am on the fence between Aviator or Flight officer, but I am leaning towards the latter.

I apologize if this seems uneducated or incorrect. It's just that I always hear "the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked." And this is a program I might be interested in, provided I can get in shape and get my GPA up (2.92 now). I want to follow in my father, uncle, and grandfathers' footsteps and serve my country; I am sort of doing so (in my own way) with an internship at NAVAIR, but I want more.

I appreciate any input or experiences.
And as a side note, thanks to everyone in service or prior service!

GPA won't matter much. Sounds like you are wanting it for the right reasons. Start getting in shape. If you are not "there" yet when you attend OCS or OTS, they'll make sure you understand your obligations as an Officer. If no Squids or Jarheads pipe in, send me a PM and I'll tell you about a better route to get jets. The Navy and Marine Corps both have excellent Aviation programs. Not bagging on them. They have less jets available to be assigned. I've gotten about 5 guys hired into the AF Reserves and Guard. All in as Pilots right now loving it. PM if you need any more info. Otherwise, good luck with your Navy and Marine Corps aspirations!:beer:

Didn't see your avatar. Disregard entire post. Just kidding.

Last edited:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
The Navy is pretty much the same as far as the aviation part goes. Marine Aviators and Naval Aviators are all trained at the same place. As well as Coast Guard. We are all Naval Aviators. Navy has a different OCS 13 weeks (believe it is now in Rhode Island used to be Pensacola, Fl). No 6 months of instruction at the Basic School learning how to be a grunt for you. Straight from OCS to API, then primary flight training in T-34s at either Corpus, Whiting, or T-6s at Vance AFB. Also I think Navy can go to T-6s at Moody AFB (they had a few guys do that about the time I was in flight school 8 years ago.) Not sure if they are still doing that. As far as NFO's that is all done at Pensacola. As in NAS Pensacola, not as in Whiting Field, Fl. Start out in T-34s or T-6s. Go to T-39s, then finish up with T-45s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread