Any dealers charging a premium, shouldn't....

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
Any dealers charging a premium/markup, shouldn't be allowed to sell any special vehicles offered from the factory. (My $0.02)

It basically says to the customer that you are getting ripped off.

Any salesmen, dealer, or anyone that has ever bought a car knows that cars loose value once they leave the lot. At least this is the case when you try to sell it back to them.

The whole deal of charging a customer anything over msrp. is a slap in the face and flat out wrong.

There is a situation at the dealership that I have a deposit on a GT500 Shelby were a Lawyer is sueing the dealership. He ordered a $150,000 GT and when the car came in the dealership marked the car up to $225,000. There excuse is the car is going online for as much as $244,000.

I am waiting to see what the outcome of this suit will be. If they have marked up the GT, then I know the GT500 will be markedup as well. I to believe I will wait or at least get on the phone and do some serious dealer shopping to find one for at least sticker.

I really don't care to wait a year for the car after it is released. Who knows, the 1st run of GT500 Shelby Cobra's could be the last. :shrug:

drmustang

Banned
You're right, They will stop making the GT500 at the point in time when they don't sell enough of them to be profitable. This could be in several years to decades,no one knows. Don't think for a second that production will cease in order to preserve owner values. Don't fall for a cheap sales pitch. There will be about as much "Shelby" in the GT500 as there is in my wife's Denali.

COBRA CRUIZER

Established Member
The manufacture sets a SUGGESTED retail price. And it's really up to the dealer,if they want to keep, lower or raise that amount. Usually the decision of the general sales manager.
When the 2005 Mustang GTs rolled out, Most dealers were asking $5000.00 above the msrp. Dealers in my area are either low or out of stock on the V-8s. They're still selling at msrp and then some. Dealers love the demand. Only problem is not enough units.
The GT500 will surely be in high demand. With production #s between 6000-9000 being distributed among 4500 dealers. The average markup will likely be around $10,000 I'm not willing to pay that kind of mark up! But many will.

ArkangelX3

Established Member
As i have said in many many threads around the web on such topic. Not ONE person EVER EVER EVER EVER, has been forced to buy a car from a dealer. No one had a gun to anyones head and said "Buy this car or else" If you don't like the fact that there is a markup. Don't buy it, getover it, stop bitching and wait. You people are allllll to eage to take a car at or below invoice. Dont see any bitching there!

drmustang

Banned
The GT500 is today what the 03/04 SVT Cobra was several years ago. The next, latest, fastest Mustang ever. Lots of hype about huge demand and not enough to go around. Get-em while they last guys! One major problem-price.
They sold rather poorly at sticker. Thousands of these hot, hard to get, hot rods were purchased at or below invoice with a healthy rebate. This yielded a selling price of 28-29K which was clearly the sweet spot. I did not save $7,000 when when I got mine for 29K, far from it. I didn't overpay 7K for a car that was worth 29K.

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
COBRA CRUIZER said:
The manufacture sets a SUGGESTED retail price. And it's really up to the dealer,if they want to keep, lower or raise that amount. Usually the decision of the general sales manager.
When the 2005 Mustang GTs rolled out, Most dealers were asking $5000.00 above the msrp. Dealers in my area are either low or out of stock on the V-8s. They're still selling at msrp and then some. Dealers love the demand. Only problem is not enough units.........
Thats why the Ford GT is selling so raplidly huh ? NOT!
Dealers have screwed the pooch on this too.

COBRA CRUIZER

Established Member
The Ford GT msrp is somewhere around $141,000. When it 1st came out, dealers in the L.A. area were getting as much as $450,000 . To compare a Ford Gt to a Mustang GT is unrealistic.

Users who are viewing this thread