Any TDI or VW Mechanics in Here?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
The one in out shop needs a turbo so it's at $14300 now. Contacted the girl and she just said "keep moving forward". That was probably the most confused I've ever seen that tech after telling him it's still a go lol.
After all of this repair work whats the over/under on how many miles she will get out of this car???

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
After all of this repair work whats the over/under on how many miles she will get out of this car???

Its hard to say. The engine is still in good working order, but the emissions components and the turbo were making it run poorly so doing all of this will really free everything up. We are doing all of the other required maintenance on it as well while it's here so that accounts for about $2k, but if she keeps it maintained then it could go another 100k miles I would think.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Its hard to say. The engine is still in good working order, but the emissions components and the turbo were making it run poorly so doing all of this will really free everything up. We are doing all of the other required maintenance on it as well while it's here so that accounts for about $2k, but if she keeps it maintained then it could go another 100k miles I would think.
Sounds cheaper than a new VW to me, not saying it was money well spent on repairs vice a used one though.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Got the car back from the last time. They were not overly confident in the fix. Back I goes this evening, will see what next week brings. looks like I put on a little over 500 miles since last fault.
2094BC91-49A4-48A1-81CA-ED9A91A1C694.jpeg
875C9602-69F4-4C40-AB17-C72241C04EC9.png

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Sounds cheaper than a new VW to me, not saying it was money well spent on repairs vice a used one though.

She got her car back last Friday and everything was running great. Not all of the monitors had set after multiple test drives so I told her to drive it for a week and let me know if anything pops up or changes. Haven't heard anything from her yet, but I do need to follow up with her. Aside from some body damage she had the car looked and felt brand new after we detailed. Replaced all of the worn parts, like new Bilstein struts shocks, all fluids serviced, etc. If you want to keep a car going that is how you do it so you don't run into cascading failures.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Here’s an update:

Car went back to the dealer 2/17/2023 when I last posted.

I got the car back 11/8/2023

I had two fully paid for rentals:
First one I put 12,850 miles on
second 885

First rental cost VW $9,459.44
Second rental cost VW $874.82

Rental Summary:
Mileage: 13,735
Cost: $10,334.26

I paid 11k for this car. I’m surprised VW hasn’t bought it back and set it on fire by this point. Also, I’m typing this as I wait for my ride from the dealer after the same fault came up. Crazy Crazy.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I am not a VW tech but I do work on the 6.7 ford and have dealt with the p20ee code before. The PCM is determining the catalyst is inefficient. Many checks include making sure the egr is working properly and has no blockages. Also have to check the DEF injector for leaks and proper flow and the proper percentage of urea, at least 32%. If those are in working order you have to make sure the Nox sensors are reporting properly to the PCM. If those are good and reporting accurately then the catalyst is shot.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I am not a VW tech but I do work on the 6.7 ford and have dealt with the p20ee code before. The PCM is determining the catalyst is inefficient. Many checks include making sure the egr is working properly and has no blockages. Also have to check the DEF injector for leaks and proper flow and the proper percentage of urea, at least 32%. If those are in working order you have to make sure the Nox sensors are reporting properly to the PCM. If those are good and reporting accurately then the catalyst is shot.
So far:
Multiple “check” clear codes

DEF heating element replaced

Nox sensor replaced

DEF feed line replaced

DEF injector tested/verified

Thermostat operation verified

Replaced scr Nox catalyst - catalytic converter

Sounds like their steps have been very similar to yours. Should hear within a couple days what their next plan is, will keep you updated.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
So far:
Multiple “check” clear codes

DEF heating element replaced

Nox sensor replaced

DEF feed line replaced

DEF injector tested/verified

Thermostat operation verified

Replaced scr Nox catalyst - catalytic converter

Sounds like their steps have been very similar to yours. Should hear within a couple days what their next plan is, will keep you updated.
These codes are a major pita to resolve. There is a tsb ford released for the 20EE code which involved a pcm reflash and a manual regen and reset of dpf parameters. Of course the tsb didn’t fix the issue. I wish you the best of luck and here’s hoping they can figure out your car.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
These codes are a major pita to resolve. There is a tsb ford released for the 20EE code which involved a pcm reflash and a manual regen and reset of dpf parameters. Of course the tsb didn’t fix the issue. I wish you the best of luck and here’s hoping they can figure out your car.
Sure seems that way. A lot of guessing and throwing parts at it. I’ve seen mention of software updates in the notes, perhaps that was the pcm reflash.

Luckily this is all warranty still so I haven’t paid a dollar. I would have unloaded it immediately if I was.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Though they tested the DEF injector in the past they are replacing it now. Should have it back within a day.

Users who are viewing this thread