Anyone been through the Army prior-service conversion course?

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
my recruiter told me i will have to go through a 4 week conversion course in fort knox, kentucky. anyone been through it?

prior USAF, btw.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
change of plans. i am now going back into active duty where i belong. had to go army as that's the only service where i can go straight into active duty. i've heard it's nearly impossible to go back into active duty air force, the navy told me i had to go reserve and apply for a transfer to active, and i'm not going back to basic for 13 weeks to join the marines. so the army it is.

how are things in the 445th?

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Gotcha! Have you ever thought of civil service? Things aren't bad in the unit, busy like normal. I'm eager to start cutting my teeth on the C-17's!

truefiveo

Established Member
change of plans. i am now going back into active duty where i belong. had to go army as that's the only service where i can go straight into active duty. i've heard it's nearly impossible to go back into active duty air force, the navy told me i had to go reserve and apply for a transfer to active, and i'm not going back to basic for 13 weeks to join the marines. so the army it is.

how are things in the 445th?

I agree, prior 6 year active duty AF here!

My 2 year Inactive Reserves status expires this August.

I actually thought about going Army active out of pure boredom of the civilian side of life.

Then I thought mine as well go back to overseas contracting....since I made way more money and even get to travel lots more than military.

I was Security Forces and Fire Protection in the AF.

If I go Army I would like to try Infantry though.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
^^^ i've been told that, due to being prior service, i'll have a limited selection when i go to MEPS. but i was thinking that infantry might not be a bad place to start. i'd prefer helicopter mech, though.

Gotcha! Have you ever thought of civil service? Things aren't bad in the unit, busy like normal. I'm eager to start cutting my teeth on the C-17's!

they're actually getting them. for real, this time? lol. that should be nice.

Last edited:

armycook1981

Established Member
i would go 15T or 15U Uh-60's/ ch-47's.......

I wouldnt go 11B ( infantry) ive only talked to a handful of guys who actually like being that MOS... i wouldnt rush your job i would research everything there gonna offer you to go into.

Being prior service are they gonna allwo you to come in at E-4?

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
My wife went through it last year. Navy to Army. I thought she went to school in TX though? She bacame a medic. She was an E-4 when she left the Navy and they let her be an E-4 coming into the Army.
There was some familiarization training school she went to and then another school for her job. The prior service people got treated slightly better than the new kids as far as living conditions and all the bs games from what she said.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
i would go 15T or 15U Uh-60's/ ch-47's.......

I wouldnt go 11B ( infantry) ive only talked to a handful of guys who actually like being that MOS... i wouldnt rush your job i would research everything there gonna offer you to go into.

Being prior service are they gonna allwo you to come in at E-4?

cargo? what's wrong with the attack choppers? i loved working on the f-16, but hated working on the c5; it was such a slow pace compared to the 16. maybe it's different in the chopper world?

and according to the recruiter, i can keep e-4.

Sarge_13

Established Member
My wife went through it last year. Navy to Army. I thought she went to school in TX though? She bacame a medic. She was an E-4 when she left the Navy and they let her be an E-4 coming into the Army.

All the medic training for the Army (and everybody else will be going there soon) is at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio.

OP, from what I've heard it's a royal bitch to go helo mech right now. A good friend of mine has been waiting for like 6 months or something stupid like that for a slot to open up.

Last edited:

steeltoe

Established Member
When I was talking to Army recuirter this time last year they told me Warrior transition was at White Sands, NM and its like 4 to 6 weeks of boot camp.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
When I was talking to Army recuirter this time last year they told me Warrior transition was at White Sands, NM and its like 4 to 6 weeks of boot camp.

thanks for that actual name. i found a website detailing it. can't wait for the weapons training week. the AF only lets you fire an m-16 in single shot. lame. lol.

motorider228

Established Member
Bumping this to the top. I want to hear from someone who has some first hand experience on this subject. I just got promoted to SrA and everything I have read said I get to keep my TIS and TIG if I go blue to green. I am considering this option when my first enlistment is up. How does the job selection go in this circumstance?

steeltoe

Established Member
Bumping this to the top. I want to hear from someone who has some first hand experience on this subject. I just got promoted to SrA and everything I have read said I get to keep my TIS and TIG if I go blue to green. I am considering this option when my first enlistment is up. How does the job selection go in this circumstance?

To my understanding with the Navy Blue to Green they prefer you go to the same job field if you are critical MOS for example my last job in the Navy I was a MM in the Army that would make me an 88K or 88L

Users who are viewing this thread