Anyone have any experience with the 6 speed automatic?

1slowSVO

Established Member
I plan on waiting a couple of years after the release of the Raptor and trading my F250 for a used Raptor. My biggest concern is the lack of a manual transmission. I despise automatics. They are boring, take away from my control of the vehicle, don't have compression braking, and I don't like the idea of a $3000 transmission all of a sudden taking a shit on me. The lack of a manual is the one reason that may keep me out of a Raptor. I'm just curious as to how responsive they are, what their life expectancy is, and how much abuse they can take. The only amount of towing I'd do would be a single car on an open trailer, so I'd never go over 5000 lbs.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I plan on waiting a couple of years after the release of the Raptor and trading my F250 for a used Raptor. My biggest concern is the lack of a manual transmission. I despise automatics. They are boring, take away from my control of the vehicle, don't have compression braking, and I don't like the idea of a $3000 transmission all of a sudden taking a shit on me. The lack of a manual is the one reason that may keep me out of a Raptor. I'm just curious as to how responsive they are, what their life expectancy is, and how much abuse they can take. The only amount of towing I'd do would be a single car on an open trailer, so I'd never go over 5000 lbs.

i dont have all of your answers but i do know that the reason off road racing trucks dont use manual trannys is because they would be torn up. manual tranny in an off road race simply would not last. from this point the auto is much more dependable and reliable for the abuse the raptor will see off road.
the towing will be limited to 6k lbs due to the aggressive off road suspension and not because of the tranny. the auto i believe is the same 6 sp auto that is in the standard f150 which is very stout.

Users who are viewing this thread