Anyone heard of a fuel pump that can handle 500+HP?

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
My mechanic says he found a new fuel pump that is supposed to be really high flow that should be able to allow me to make over 500FWHP without upgrading my fuel system above what I all ready have other than changing the fuel pump. Has anyone heard of this pump, and do you have any info on it? It isn't the Chicayne pump, and it isn't the dual pump setup in the Cobra.

OCMike

Established Member
San Fransisko, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
An upgraded fuel pump for 500 at the fly is not hard to find. If you meant at the rear, your options are still many, including the Aeromotive line, Boost-A-Pump, etc.
I am curious what this "new" pump is that your mechanic is refering to.

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
That is quite a nice set up you have there. Are you making 600rwhp on a dynojet or mustang dyno?

When I find out the details on the pump I will post it here.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Bullitt_#1346
My mechanic says he found a new fuel pump that is supposed to be really high flow that should be able to allow me to make over 500FWHP without upgrading my fuel system above what I all ready have other than changing the fuel pump. Has anyone heard of this pump, and do you have any info on it? It isn't the Chicayne pump, and it isn't the dual pump setup in the Cobra.

Well the two parts of the fuel system that need to be replaced are the fuel pump and lines. The fuel rails can handle up to about 600 hp but the lines and pump won't. So him installing a bigger pump is about half the solution you need.

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
Doesn't the Vortech kit come with upgraded fuel lines?

The parts list on their website only talks about a pig tail connector or something like that in connection with the fuel pump.

Last edited:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Bullitt_#1346
Doesn't the Vortech kit come with upgraded fuel lines?

The parts list on their website only talks about a pig tail connector or something like that in connection with the fuel pump.

That's for their T-Rex inline fuel pump that should have come with the kit. If you look under the rear of your car near your filter you should be able to see it.

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
Well, I can't look under the car since it is in the shop. I guess I will just have to wait and see what kind of pump he is planning on using. He really knows his stuff, and if this pump isn't going to work for my car we will move on to a return style system. He is just trying to keep me from spending money I don't need to spend. He is only planning on making between 425 to 450rwhp, so I am not really getting in to really high amounts of power where I would definitely need a whole new fuel system. The pump I have know is barely able to keep up with the power I was making before the engine modifications (385 rwhp). My fuel pressure was bouncing all over the place and we had a lot of trouble getting driveability issues ironed out. I had to have a MAF custom calibrated by Pro-M to finally get it all straightened out.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I ran the Aeromotive fuel pump in my car. It worked to good. It would drain the Fuel Bucket faster than fuel could replenish itself. Even with the 255LPh it doesn't flow that much, do to the fuel bucket design. I had mine flow tested after I changed it to a 255LPh fuel pump and modified the bucket, the best it flowed was 200LPH. I'm not sure if they changed that after 99. But this was a problem I ran into. Put a big ass fuel pump on your car and it will work. But, make sure you look at the bigger picture. Like when your car is below a 1/2 tank. Look out!

Users who are viewing this thread