Anyone undercoat their car?

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Usually its just spraying a tar-like coating on the underside of the car. It helps prevent rust and helps deaden sound a bit. Also adds a little weight. I wouldn't bother unless I lived near an ocean or where alot of salt is used on the roads in the winter time.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
Usually its just spraying a tar-like coating on the underside of the car. It helps prevent rust and helps deaden sound a bit. Also adds a little weight. I wouldn't bother unless I lived near an ocean or where alot of salt is used on the roads in the winter time.

The weight gain is negligible. Once that stuff dries out, you will never be able to tell the difference. We once 'coated the back half of our race car because we were a little under weight and wanted to put the weight where it would do the most good. This was before weight boxes were allowed in stock eliminator. We laid it on good and thick back there and by weighing the drum we were using, figured we put a good 30 pounds back there. Next time we took it to the scales...zippo! It hadn't changed the weight a bit! Maybe 3 or 4 pounds at best. But it sure made it a mess to work on back there.

bunk22

Established Member
I had Ford undercoat mine being that I live in cities by the sea. They did a pretty good job except for all the undercoating they sprayed on the yellow Bilsteins.

micksnip

Established Member
undercoating

kaboom said:
Yes, but I'm a product of growing up in PA, where you maybe got 5 years on a car body before it began to rust. I'm 50, and worked my way thru Penn State by being a grunt at a body shop. Watched buddies buy mid-70s pickups(4X4, of course) for 8k new(a lot of cash by today's standard, only to have the non-undercoated ones rust through in about 3 years. Unreal, huh? My 1st new vehicle was an 81 ford 4X4 f 150, got it undercoated without a flinch. No rust 11 yrs later! Got a 95 bronco now, in addition to the 94 cobra. Bronco was done 10 years ago and then again a year ago after pressure-washing the old stuff off. No rust at all. Got both 03 and 04 Cobras undercoated. I know about zinc-dipping, etc, but it's like frequent oil changes-cheap insurance. I'm not so gullible to believe manufacturers don't build some planned obselesence into the cars. Plus, in 20 years you guys/gals who drove stang as a daily driver-we'll see how yours looks then. Mine's garage-kept. live in MD, and fixed enough rust from salted roads that if I were wealthy, I'd invent an alternative to salt. Heard N.D. has a "no salt" rule for highway?Saw a lot of purty cars go to the junkyard because of the rust, and it sickens me. Micksnip

Users who are viewing this thread