Anyone with wetsanding expierence please help.....

blowngt

Established Member
I'm going to attempt to wet sand both doors, but need some advise before I dive into it.

I tried a small section today and was shocked at how much damage you can do with just a little sanding. I used 2000 grit, let it sit in a bucket of soapy water for about 15 minutes before I started. Like I said, I just did a small section to see how the process is. After sanding, I used a 3M product called "Perfect It, fine cut rubbing compound" and a high speed rotery. I'm failry expierenced at using the rotary, but I'm always very careful. Anyways, I followed it up with Perfect It, polishing compound for dark colored cars. I then used the SSR 2.5, CK glaze and wax. It looks pretty good, but it's alot of work!!

I'm wondering if there is a product that I can use with the PC to make the process simpler??? Can I use the 3M products with the PC and get the same results??? What kind of pads do I need?? Am I expecting to much from the PC, or is it possible to do??

Thanks..... :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If you have no experience with doing this, I highly recomment that you take it to a pro. You can kill your paint very quickly.

blowngt

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
If you have no experience with doing this, I highly recomment that you take it to a pro. You can kill your paint very quickly.

I did a small section and it came out fine. I've got a friend that is expierenced at it that gave me a few pointers. I'm just asking if there is a product or pad that I can use with the PC that will give me the same results as a high speed rotery. No fear of screwing up my paint, just looking for an easier way :beer:

tyrbrnr

Drink Beer !
Established Member
sounds like like you got the right stuff that is what i used what i cut and buff my old car after it got painted .. the only thing i can tell you is watch edges with that buffer you can burn a edge and then the clear coat is f**ked i usually sand a litttle area with soapy water then dry it off and look at it you can see it leaves dimple where there is any imperfections so keep sand ing until it is gone repeating the steps ten buff it with 3M and then use a good wax after that it should come out perfect

10thTerminator

Established Member
The pc just doesn't have the balls to do it quickly. You could try Mequiars # 82 . The #82 is great at removing deep swirls with the PC, so it may work. What grit sandpaper?

blowngt

Established Member
10thTerminator said:
The pc just doesn't have the balls to do it quickly. You could try Mequiars # 82 . The #82 is great at removing deep swirls with the PC, so it may work. What grit sandpaper?

I used 2000. I've never done this before, but I did a small section to see what it looks like. It didn't seem to do anything for the orange peel?? Maybe I didn't sand enough??? I was able to get the scratch marks off with the high speed rotery, but I really don't like using it as much as the PC.

Any suggestions are welcome..... :beer:

Captain Steve

Established Member
blowngt said:
I used 2000. I've never done this before, but I did a small section to see what it looks like. It didn't seem to do anything for the orange peel?? Maybe I didn't sand enough??? I was able to get the scratch marks off with the high speed rotery, but I really don't like using it as much as the PC.

Any suggestions are welcome..... :beer:

You may have started out with too fine a grit of sandpaper. Usually, you start with just enough grit to smooth out what you want sanded, then go up in grits to smooth out the swirl marks from your sanding. Then when you've gone as far as sandpaper will take you, you switch to a liquid swirl remover.

Think of it this way, at a microscopic level, your cars paint looks like the surface of the moon. Using too fine a paper, you're just knocking off the tops of the ridges.

On the other hand, if you use too rough a paper, you needlessly take away layers of paint. It's a balancing act, and it's not easy.

If the paint is orange peeled from the factory, take the car in to the dealer and get yourself a new paint job from the warranty. If it's a used car past its warrantee, then you probably have nothing to lose trying to sand it out. Well, except for the cost of re-painting if you go through your base coat :bash:

Quartermile

Established Member
Every car has orange peel from the factory, including BMW's, Jag's and other high end cars. Orange peel is a safety margin that helps hide scratches. Your not going to get a new paint job.

blowngt

Established Member
Quartermile said:
Every car has orange peel from the factory, including BMW's, Jag's and other high end cars. Orange peel is a safety margin that helps hide scratches. Your not going to get a new paint job.

I'm not sure about the safety margin part, but I do know that a certain amount of orange peel is expected from the factory. They as much as tell you so when you bring it up to them. I have noticed though, that on the higher end cars, the orange peel is much less significant than on your everyday domestic vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread