"Apten's" theory on the TICK:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
only been on here 2 wks and had no idea there was other posts about it.
It's ok man, no problem. In the future, just make sure you try to search for your answer first. I know it may not be the most fun thing to do, but you can usually find what your looking for. For example, the TSB you posted was already posted on this site over a year ago.

BigDaddy

Established Member
I sold my 03 like 5 months ago and I thought that more info about the tick would have been "found" by now--I guess not.

THE NEW HEAD IS NOT A FIX--> thats been proven.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I read on some website yesterday that Ford is finding out that the redesigned head "fix" [around #7 and #8 cylinders] that Ford has come up with is NOT fixing all the those motors that they have applied the fix to.....that there are a fair share of those that have had the redesigned fix applied that are getting the tick back again soon after the replacement. It went on further to say that Ford is in esence going back to the drawing board to re-evaluate what may be causing the tick and to come up with another solution.

This in essence is saying to me that there has yet to be discovered a firm "root-cause" for the tick. Sorry I don't have the web site for I was just surfing around .

Comments!

Swervedriver

Established Member
Guys, you're firing off at a newb for not "searching for the answer to your questions" when all the guy did is point to some INFO that he got from Apten. If anything he's providing backup info from another source and he's posting it in a new thread so it doesn't just get burried away under 5+ pages...

Welcome to the board Blu snake & thnx for the info. I hope I never have to worry about it.

BLU-BLZ 03SNAKE

Built Up Tension!
Established Member
Originally posted by Swervedriver
Guys, you're firing off at a newb for not "searching for the answer to your questions" when all the guy did is point to some INFO that he got from Apten. If anything he's providing backup info from another source and he's posting it in a new thread so it doesn't just get burried away under 5+ pages...

Welcome to the board Blu snake & thnx for the info. I hope I never have to worry about it.

thanks, Swerve. you rock!

03RedCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
I read on some website yesterday that Ford is finding out that the redesigned head "fix" [around #7 and #8 cylinders] that Ford has come up with is NOT fixing all the those motors that they have applied the fix to.....that there are a fair share of those that have had the redesigned fix applied that are getting the tick back again soon after the replacement. It went on further to say that Ford is in esence going back to the drawing board to re-evaluate what may be causing the tick and to come up with another solution.

This in essence is saying to me that there has yet to be discovered a firm "root-cause" for the tick. Sorry I don't have the web site for I was just surfing around .

Comments!

I took my car in about 3 months ago because the "tick" in my engine was just getting annoyingly loud !! Well, the mechanic verified that it was from the cylinder head versus the fuel injectors. He called Ford to see what he should do, and they told him that they would NOT replace the head, and that I have plenty of time left on my warranty, and that they are "working" on a fix. WOW, nice answer for me !! SO, I have it verified that I have some type of noise problem, but they won't do anything about it. Lovely.

Coiled03

Established Member
I wonder if it's a sure thing that ALL heads that are pre-December will develop the tick. Surely, there isn't enough variance in the heads such that some never develop the tick, and others do.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
I don't think all pre dec 03 will develop a tick. Mine has 15,000 k on it an not tick so far (knock on wood). Hopefully its just a small percentage of them that develop it.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Mine is a pre-December build (June 02) and with 23K miles, I still don't have the tick.

I sure hope I never get it, but who knows? :shrug:

Big turkey

Established Member
What does the tick sound like? I have 223 miles on my car and today when I pulled up in the garage next to my mom's van I thought I heard a faint ticking. It sounds more like a tapping noise, so I put my ear next to the driver side wheel well. It's noticeable, only if you really listen to it. I went to the passenger side wheel well and the same noise is there but not as loud. It doesn't sound like injector noise.. it's more like a tap than a tick.

I cannot hear it if i stand up, I have to bend down next to the wheel. My car was produced in 03/04, and I want to mod it but I want all the bugs to get out of the way before I do.

Users who are viewing this thread