Are we all red necks?

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Seeing as how the original "Redneck" tag came from working in the field all day and getting sunburnt, I always take it as a compliment! ;-) Tell your Evo buddy his pansy ass just wouldn't understand the idea hard work.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

TO_04Cobra

Established Member
Funny Thread:

My daily driver is a Yuppie "white-collar" BMW 3 series vert and my weekend toy is an 04 Cobra Coupe - workin' man's muscle car. I like the contrast between the two cars, the BMW refinement, comfort and build quality and the nasty, muscle car sound and power of the cobra... love them both!

Funny how the character of each car is different and how people look at you, assess and size you up accordingly in each car....

Red97Snake

Established Member
Cobras are built for Road Courses? Hmmm...

03CobraBro said:
Why does everyone keep saying they want a SRA Cobra for the Drag strip? This is exactly why we all look like hill billies in the eyes of most of the other car owner circles.. The Cobra is built for the road course not the drag strip.

You say the Cobra was built FOR the road course. Shouldnt' you say ...ALSO for road courses? The pony wars started before road racing was even thought of in the mind of then modern day youth. It was about straight line bragging rights first. So to imply that the Cobra was built strictly for RC is not quite accurate. It was created for the "enthusiast"...for whatever HIS needs may be. So IRS or SRA...doesnt stereotype anything. Just a different tool for a different job is all my friend! Who cares what ppl in other "car owner circles" think of us anyway? We are the LAST of a breed. The pony cars that founded a great nation on Hot Rods, Apple Pie and Baseball. It's in our blood and Ford didn't forget that!! :beer:

fordification

Established Member
Pony wars started in 67. Primetime for trans-am racing. Mustang came out and was put on the road coarse from the very beginning. Maybe not 65 but 66.
GT350, Boss 302.

Red97Snake

Established Member
True however...

fordification said:
Pony wars started in 67. Primetime for trans-am racing. Mustang came out and was put on the road coarse from the very beginning. Maybe not 65 but 66.
GT350, Boss 302.

What I was referring to was the "every day Joe" buying a hot rod to cruise the boulevard. The trend of trailering the car to the track wasn't like it is now so straight line brawing on the back streets in the industrial district was the beginning of the Pony Wars on the streets of Anytown, USA.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Red97Snake said:
What I was referring to was the "every day Joe" buying a hot rod to cruise the boulevard. The trend of trailering the car to the track wasn't like it is now so straight line brawing on the back streets in the industrial district was the beginning of the Pony Wars on the streets of Anytown, USA.

I'm not discouraging anybody from buying a SRA car, or buying a Cobra and hooking it up with a SRA. All I'm asking, and a handful of others who are into Mustangs who realize times have changed, is for a very small 5% of Mustangs to come equipped with a fully tuned IRS. Providing the 07/08 model year resumes normal production numbers (approx 200 thousand Mustangs per year) that leaves you guys with just about 190 thousand cars to enjoy with a SRA.

Sadly, even I'v accepted this, it's not about competing on the streets anymore, its about what your car can do in comparison to other cars in all categories. I drive my car because I love it, but it is fun to be able to go out to Putnam Park (the local 1.8 mile road course) and show a c0cky 350Z owner, who beleive's Mustangs are squeeky old tanks with sickly outdated chassis, what a 79 Ford Fairmont frame can do with a sprinkle of 21st century Ford enginuity. Imagine what you could do with the S197 Chassis with that being said.

Part of the thing too is, unless your lucky enough to live in a developing part of Pheonix or on the outskirts of some other exotic desert metropolis, their is so much traffic these days, and the police are so much better at catching people street racing, that most races rarely happen from stop lights anymore anyway. Almost all of my racing is done on the interstate. Hell from stop lights around here I can barely squeeze off 1st gear, in my dad's 5.0 let alone the Roush or the Cobra, before I'm either up someones ass or running through a school zone, neighborhood, or speed trap.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Red97Snake said:
It was created for the "enthusiast".

I dont disagree with you completely... But that's the whole point, the enthusiest is impressed by what the car can do as a whole, in every aspect that involves performance, that's what SVT is all about. It's not just crossing their fingers and hoping they dont blow out the differential covers because they were only worried about what the car could do when the clutch was dumped and the throttle to the floor.

What I meant by I dont disagree completely was... Beleive me, I realize nothing feels quite like getting behind the wheel of a 400/500hp car, unless of course your talking a car with more power :D, and blowing through 3 or 4 gears before you even get half way through the entrance ramp but I'm just saying their is more too it now than that. Not saying I dont like power, I'm just saying I want the car to have a suspension that's as beefy and mean as the engine is, and do it behind the wheel of a Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread