ATTN: mustang COBRA and GT owners please read and respond!

99SVTcobraVERT

alright guys

i have a 2001 cobra conv't with mods shown in sig. and i have a question. i have currently on my car a mac off road pro chamber h pipe. BUT i also have a high flow bassani X pipe sitting in my garage. i have dynoed with my mods and the h pipe but not with the X pipe. in your experience which is better for the 2001 dohc motor with a 150 shot of spray off road H or hi flow X? please respond with any thoughts on this subject guys..

:??:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I think the X will net a little more HP, regardless of setup (but the prochamber may make a little more torque). The only way to truly know is to run both on the dyno :-D.

P.S. There will be a significant difference in exhaust note, IMO

slick4_6

Established Member
How does it run with the nos. Any probs. When in that run did you hit the nos and get the tires to stick. Heard that traction is a nightmare on the spray.

99SVTcobraVERT

i have heard both on the car and yes you are right a very different noise with both. but i cant tell difference in the two, just wonder which one is worth more, ya know squeeze every little hp and lb ft torque i can. and it ran fine on the dyno, no tire spin at all and it was on the stock comp ta 245 45 17's not the drag radials. its not like hitting the spray 1st gear @3,000rpm and going all over the road haha. its a 1:1 pull in 4th gear at 2,000rpm when you lay into it and then once the car is going up around 2900 i just flip the switch and since its a full throttle system set up it just goes right into action. i LOVE nitrous and the way it feels when you pop it:lol:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
youll get better numbers with the Xpipe. i love mine....the hpipe is basially used for sound purposes in my experience, but the Xpipe is for performance results. put the Xpipe in, you wont regret it.

-marek

3BLKSVT

Established Member
NOS Cobra 2001,
How do you like the prochamber and sound of it? Does it sound good with the FR500 cat-back? Did you run the BF drag radials on the stock wheels (275-40) on your time in the sig? What about upgraded halfshafts yet? Your times and mph are very impressive. You must give Zo6's and Viper's the surprise of their life!
Thanks,
Jeremy

99SVTcobraVERT

3BLKSVT:

i like the sound of the prochamber,however the fr500 cat back has a unique sound to it. however i like the bassani hi flow x pipe with the fr500 more than anything though. as far as the gbf's no they arent on stock rims. the stock rim are only 8inch wide and it would be too much trouble to keep switching back an forth on the rim. and too expensive to leave them on for daily driving. so i have them on silver 17x10 inch cobra r rims. the halfshafs are stock and broke the next run afte the 11 sec pass that i was so proud of. tried stepping it up a notch and leaving @ 5000 or so rpm and with the spray all in 1st and :punch: BAM!! have since had them replaced as well as a motor under factory warranty. friends in high places:coolman: (that was about 7 months ago for the motor lol nitrous in the hands of a man used to only superchargers was not a good thing haha:nono: and as for Z06's yes,i have had a few of those in my rear view. BUT yet to race anything but a 97-00 viper gts 450hp 450torque at flywheel. with him being a fool and giving me the hop, that my friends was no competition. didnt matter that i got the hop because i pulled him all the way to 130 when he flashed his lights and backed off. was very nice guy though. however the new 03 viper 500hp,500 torque,506CI, and 3200lbs for conv't. not sure about that one lol might get smoked:rolling:

3BLKSVT

Established Member
Thanks for the response,
I'm still at an exhaust dilemma as I hear the x pipes are so raspy, but you say it sounds good with your catback?, looks like the catback gave you good power on your dyno too. How did you cork the motor if you don't mind me asking? I'm a bit unsure about the power adder I'd like to use, blower or nitrous - what do you feel is safer? Are you happy with your setup over a blown one? Your mph with nitrous seems higher than most that are blown but maybe thats the n20 hitting alot harder torque-wise...is that what's pulled you over from the supercharger side? I sorta like the idea of a car that's fast n/a but can hit the switch now and again to keep everyone honest!
Thanks again, (sorry for all the ?)
Jeremy

p.s. how much jump did the viper give you, what did you take him by to 130!?

99SVTcobraVERT

haha its ok about the questions. ok here goes. h-pipe give you more the old sound 5.0 style like the old built cars. the x pipe is more like a italian car with exhaust because of our cars unusual ability to reach 7200rpm. the best sound set up i can advise is either a bassani hi flow x pipe with fr500, or x with flows. also bassani makes a good cat back also,but doesnt bring the power that the fr500 does. and my rwhp isnt all that great for what i have. i think his new motor that i got wasnt quite the kick the older one was but i cant prove that because i neve dyno that motor. i have mac cold air, fr500 exhaust that dyno was with the offroad prochamber pipe so that may by why. they say its best to use the hi flow x when using the fr500. the car did 273rwhp and 276rwtq stock. and after all mods on motor it brought 292rwhp and 301rwtq. so with average #'s 13rwhp cat back,15-20rwhp pipe, and 5-10rwhp intake. so it should have net 33-38rwhp more. so i only got 19rwhp more. so i think its the offroad pipe not giving enough back pressue but my torque didnt suffe much. but im very happy with torque #. from talking to everyone i would prob pick up closer to my torque # in rwhp if i put back on the bassani to work in harmony with the fr500 because they are designed with same type of X. and corking the motor?? if you mean what were my cool down times, it was about 5 mins per run. not very long because i was in a hurry and wanted a quick 4 pulls. 2 na, 2 nitrous. first na was high hp but i had a hickup in the torque early on? didnt happen again 2nd pull. first run nitrous yeilded almost 1200psi bottle pressure. 2nd run had more 18more hp but like 25 lbft less torque. and as far as safer...i have had 3 sc' cobra's and 1 nitrous cobra. (94 built 5.0 to a 306) 96 mystic,99 conv't, and this 01 cobra is only nitrous cobra. and i have blown 2 sc motors and 1 nitrous motor. well one of those sc blows wasnt a blow. it was just so worn down and the compression was shot and in the end would barely outrun a stock SS with 6 lbs of boost =*( . the 99 thru a rod at 101 degree on a dyno at almost 14lbs of boost (detonation) but @ 6900rpm when it went it was peaked at 510rwhp and 445rwtorque!!:punch: the 94 was built like hell at 545rwhp and 539rwtq the 96 was mild @ 9lb boost @ 426rwhp 392rwtq. and only one that was intercooled was the 94. i was always scared of nailing it in the summer time because of the intense heat. with the nitrous i really feel that it is better for me, because its my daily driver. better gas mileage becaue notalways boost, and is less harsh on my motor because not always boost and i dont over do the shot for the cars, and i also stepped up the fuel pump and injectors from my old 99 s/c kit. i love the torque, its like having my old 94 back but with a Ferrari like rush to the redline. i give thumbs up to nitrous because you cant hear it, not too powerful so you can street drive it on STREET tire. easy to dyno, cost a lot less. and its only there when you need it. just keep the bottle full haha:rollseyes and the mph is actually little slow because i cant really let into it like want to off the line with the halfshafts already killed that once. and actually the 99 was hitting higher mph than 117 and little quicker times too. and from what ive seen with blown cars running my times the mph is about par for average if not even a little low :shrug: and with the viper it was a millasecond about like a .500 light to a .550 light. one thing to remember about the pre-01 vipers is that they weighed more than cobra's, and had about 370ish rwhp and 400 or so rwtq. so a cobra or even a gt with a decent amount of boost or spray can take them with the best driver, not to mention what if its just an old guy reliving his younth and cant power shift or eve shift quick. going from 40ishmph to 130ish i had him by enough to see his whole car in my rear view. 3 - 3.5 cars? and get a GEAR that 3:27 is a sin in your car. at least a 3:73 , im about to put 4:10 in mine!!!:beer: :burnout:

3BLKSVT

Established Member
sweet response,
thanks, very informative. I wasn't very clear about corking the motor, I meant how did you kill it before it was replaced under warranty. Did it lean out on the n20?, too small a fuel pump etc.? Do you think long tubes will help quite a bit for your application n/a and nitrous or are you even going to bother?

Take care,
Jeremy

99SVTcobraVERT

i sprayed the nitrous @ 1500+psi bottle pressure. the warmer was installed wrong so it kept heating it more and more and more and didnt shut itself off like it was suppose to and i sprayed 3rd gear 3000 or so rpm and it blew the intakes right off the block, air intakes destroyed. but the motor actually did lock down and block then. i put new upper and lower intakes, air intake tube and new spark plugs on it and it ran fine with a spun bearing, or something that made a ticking sound for a few months. figured might as well just blow it up if i have a bent valve or something and get a new motor. so i took the nitrous off so i wouldnt be tempted to spray and the motor actually head up till my friend took it aaaaaalll the way to 7200rpm when i told him no higher than 5000 because i didnt think it could take it and BOOM, ,moron:bash: :punch: so i cursed a while and picked up parts of the alum block off the streak by following the trail of oil left from the rod thru the pan. called a tow truck and in 2 weeks svt had built me a motor and installed for $200.00 (tip for my guy that put it in that worked with me at ford) helps by working for ford and knowing people. 5-6k+ motor job for 200 bucks:thumbsup: :beer: and my friend felt so bad for blowing it up he paid for the tip ,idiot:punch: nitrous is cool just dont **** up and spray too high bottle pressure, dont run more than 150 shot with cold plugs w/o forged internals and a timing decrease.

Users who are viewing this thread