audio upgrades

acrbill

Established Member
Because I bought my car on a whim I ended up with a base model. I am not a car audio guy by any stretch but I am wanting something more.

A) I want in dash navi. I have an Avic D3 in my Expedition and I love it so I will go with a newer Avic unless someone has a better idea. Is the metra dash kit the only one available at the moment??

B) Speakers- I want something that sounds very rich. Can I get away with upgrading the four stock speakers or should I get an amp as well?

c) sub- I would rather not kill my trunk space but I have a feeling I will not get a nice rich sound without at least a small sub. It will most likely be some sort of vehicle specific box that fits in the corner.

d) last is the optional door speakers. Since the premium sound system comes with the big door speakers I would assume there is a place to mount them in the door frame. Is this something I should consider or is the 4 speakers good enough?

If anyone can recommend brands or has any other tips I would appreciate it.

Cuco5.0

Established Member
Sub'd in...the only one i can answer for you is the metra kit is the only available kit currently. The Scosche kit will be available in November (tentative)...looking forward to the more knowledgable people on the boards to answer your questions.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Best thing to do is get a good component set for the front door and put an amp on them. Rear speakers are not needed because they pull your sound stage behind you and more speakers are unnecessary. As for a sub a small 8 or 10 with roughly 600w should be just fine. I would advise to have a box custom made as prefabs aren't great. To save on trunk space I would utilize the spare tire well. There is more than enough volume there for a single 8 or 10. As for recommended brands I would look at sundown audio, Audioque, DC Audio, or Obsidian Audio. If you need help with anything just let me know.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Sorry to hijack but does anybody know all the speakers sizes?

Thanks!

acrbill

Established Member
That is fantastic news about the rears since those are a total PITA to replace. I definitely am not willing to give up my spare tire but there are all sorts of space in the trunk for something.

thanks for the tips

92fiveohfox

Established Member
JL audio stealthbox if you have the $$$ for it. I did components in the doors (5.25 and tweeters will fit in the stock location and u can buy a plate for it) and an arc audio ks 125.2 mini amp that is small enough to mount under the dash. Still have the stock radio and no subs bc I dont want the weight atm.

Last edited:

Entrenched

Established Member
I'm running 4 infinity Kappas in 6 x 8 for the rear deck and door speaks. I also have the 2 8" shelby kicker upgrades. I like the stealth box and will probably go that route eventually.

Right now the sound quality is much improved

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
That is fantastic news about the rears since those are a total PITA to replace. I definitely am not willing to give up my spare tire but there are all sorts of space in the trunk for something.

thanks for the tips

You have a spare tire? All I got was a spare tire well with an air pump in there. I don't care for spare tires anyway. My truck hasn't had one on it for years. Btw I wouldn't go with any jl stealthbox junk. Your just going to fork out a ton of money when you don't need to.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
You have a spare tire? All I got was a spare tire well with an air pump in there. I don't care for spare tires anyway. My truck hasn't had one on it for years. Btw I wouldn't go with any jl stealthbox junk. Your just going to fork out a ton of money when you don't need to.

Did someone at JL Audio piss in your Froot Loops? You have no problems bashing them.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Did someone at JL Audio piss in your Froot Loops? You have no problems bashing them.

No I just know how much things cost in the car audio world and know how huge the mark up is with jl and other main stream companies. So many people get rapped out of their money when they could spend a 1/4 of the price for products of equal quality.

Zims-mustang

Established Member
I cant imagine the base gt, I have the premium with the shaker and the quality isnt that great either.

GTtoSVT

Established Member
Just replacing the door speakers made a huge difference with my shaker 500 system. I installed kicker ks68's 6x8! I love em!

-Brian

kevinp

Established Member
I cant imagine the base gt, I have the premium with the shaker and the quality isnt that great either.

I had the shaker 500 in my 2010 GT500 and I was unimpressed (but the sirius weather map thing was pretty cool), the base stereo in this 2011 isnt that bad really compared to it. No sat radio, bluetooth or USB kind of sucks but it sounds OK for what it is, at least for the music I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread