Auto to Manual Conversion

blackstallion19

Established Member
Hey guys I am buying a 1990 gt as a project... it is an auto but I will be converting it to manual, probably just going to find a used t-5 tranny. Can any of you guys give me a good rundown of the process and possibly what the expected price range is for doing such a conversion. I appreciate all of your help!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I've only assisted with this once, and that was years ago. So what I remember is probably a little off.

Your going to need:
T-5 (or whatever trans you want)
Clutch
pilot bearing
t/o bearing
Flywheel
Clutch and brake pedal assembly
Clutch cable
Clutch quadrant
Firewall adjuster
Shift boot (to replace the panel in the center console)

And I can't remember if the auto uses the same trans mount and driveshaft yoke as the manual. For some reason I want to say they don't, but I honestly can't remember and I don't feel like googling it.

When I helped with the swap I don't remember it being particularly difficult. It was a bit of work, and there was some fussing, but nothing stands out as anything to mention here.

You'll probably also want to check and make sure the harmonic balancers aren't different too.

Hopefully someone that's done this more recently than 8 years ago will chime in..

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
damn i was gunna say if it was a C4 you can bring it down here and id be willing to give you my T5 and everything you needed to swap over for the C4 and all the stuff i needed...

blackstallion19

Established Member
I am probably going to try and find all the parts in a junk yard, except for the clutch, clutch assembly and flywheel I want to buy them new. I have a guy at a local speedshop that said he would do the full swap for only 350...it seems like a pretty good price to me what do you guys think? I don't have the time or the resources to perform the swap myself

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
350 sounds pretty reasonable to me. Most shops charge 100 an hour, so if he's following that rate, he's only charging you 3 1/2 hours...sounds more than fair to me.

WillyB93

Established Member
Its not too bad of a process just time consuming especially putting the clutch pedals in!!!! I think the only thing the other guy left off is the bellhousung if you don't get that with the transmission. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread