Autoextremist's Take on GT's Super Bowl Ad

Paul Vincent

Established Member
I thought that I'd share the views of Peter DeLorenzo on the GT's Super Bowl ad. He speaks not only to the ad, but to the importance of the GT to the future of Ford.

by Peter M. DeLorenzo

And last, but certainly not least, Ford used the pre-game show to debut two spots (a :30 tease and a :60 intro) for its sensational GT super sports car. When a car has such a historic legacy as the Ford GT, one that represents the very high point of the company's involvement in motorsports - including four consecutive wins in the 24 Hours of Le Mans from 1966 through 1969 - the opportunity to blow the whole thing is almost as great as the opportunity is to do it justice. J. Walter Thompson simply hit one out of the park with its work for the new Ford GT. It didn't hurt that they enlisted one of the preeminent automotive directors in the business - Jeff Zwart - to handle the assignment, and Jeff and the creative/production team from the agency delivered two spectacular spots. Dramatic and superbly filmed, the spots showcased the stunning new Ford GT and decisively paid-off the heroic theme line, "The pace car for an entire company." Great stuff.

Custom2kgt

Established Member
Yes it was indeed. If you looked close there was some good old fashioned American smart ass in them too. The fine print at the bottom of the track footage read something like.
"Clearly this is a closed track and professional driver. Do not attempt....." I've watched those vids on my pc time and time again and never saw that. So when the commercial came out and the letters popped up it caught my eye. Classic line, I love the arrogance and pressumed supremecy "Clearly ....." Give em hell Bill. Bravo, bravo!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
It may well be the best ad that I've ever seen. If you see it and do not want to own one, you are not a car guy.

Congrads to the ad people that created it and to those who approved it:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread