Aviator swap in a 01 Cobra and have a few questions

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Ready to freshen up my high mile cobra and just dropped off a deposit for a 2005 Aviator engine. I already know I need to swap most external parts off my Cobra engine to the aviator and get a flywheel.

Questions
1. swap my cobra intake cams in place of the Aviators? Is there such a thing as buying custom intake cams only??
2. aluminum or steel flywheel?
3. reuse my exhaust manifolds even though I know they're not ideal for the new exhaust ports? assuming aviators wont work?
4. add any sort of windage tray?
5. do i need to do anything oil pump related or is it just the pickup that is different?
6. Lastly, will the aviator engine make any more hp giving it has better heads and I think more compression?

Anything else? The car is a weekend cruiser and nothing more.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
1) I'm sure you could buy custom intake cams, but why? Not worth the price IMO.
2) Steel has better street manners. Easier to get started from a stop, etc. What's more important to you?

Are you sure the oil pump is different? I can't imagine it having a different oil pump from Cobras since it's a 4V engine. What are the engines rated at?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I picked the engine up today and so far so good. I usually don't have a whole lot of luck buying stuff like this but it has DC heads and Nemak block so that is great!

For the flywheel, am I correct in getting a 3v flywheel which I think are 6 bolt 11"? I think my cobra currently has a 8 bolt 11" since I have a tr3650

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread