Bad Clutch @ 3400 miles!!! Need Help

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
At about 3100 miles I noticed my clutch getting a lot softer. Now at 3400 miles on my 03 cobra the clutch is really soft, like night and day from when I first bought it. It takes much longer to engage. I almost have to dump it in first gear now to keep from a near stallout. I can tell I have lost power too because of the softness of the clutch when i'm at WOT....I know what your thinking...no I do not drive it like a biotch and burn my clutch. Yes I drive hard on occasion but all with good shifts. I'm not a moron.....No clutch burning at all. I have an appointment on Thursday for the dealership to take a look at it. Do you think it will be warrantied? I hope so, come on bad clutch after 3400 miles on a $35,000 car. You dont think they'll try to use my 2 mods against me. I just had the CAI and catback installed last week and I notcied the clutch going soft before that. It has nothng to do with them. Has anyone else had clutch problems? The day I bought the car the clutch was stiff as heck (which rocks). I like a hard clutch. But it is so soft now its unbelieveable. What do you guys think?

socalcobra03

Established Member
I have the exact same problem at 2500 miles. I took it to th dealership and they said they want to give it time to see if it gets any softer, otherwise its just normal break-in. The dealershp also said that Ford warranties any clutch under 1 year or 12,000 miles "under normal driving conditions." So I guess the dealership could deny the warranty if they want to, othrwise it should be no problem getting a new clutch. I worked out a deal with the dealership where I will buy a spec clutch, and they will install it for free, and give me a few free services to make up the difference for the price of the stock clutch.

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
They better not say I have to wait longer and see if it gets any softer. I paid $35k for this car and am not getting the full performace out of it because of a soft clutch which I need replaced. Well, thats what I'll say to them. I do drive it under normal driving conditions, except a few WOT runs on weekends and such. No launches, or dropping the clutch at high revs, never taken it to the track at all. The only thing I'm worried about is will that complain about my Denscharger cold Air intake. Although how that related to clutch failure is beyond me.

stang99

I have never heard of a single instance of a warranty being voided for cat back mufflers. This would be a real stretch since SVT always says that the stock mufflers flow well. However, changing to a Denscharger has been proven to add significant torque and RWHP over and over again. It could be argued that you overpowered the clutch, although, admittedly, that would be a weak argument. Still, I would switch back to the stock air intake, paper filter and all, if I were you. You are lucky because you can undo your mods relatively easily. It is far better to take the car in as stock as possible for warranty work than to take it in with obvious mods, since you have the high ground throughout the process and they have nothing to beat you up with.

Originally posted by bradz2125
The only thing I'm worried about is will that complain about my Denscharger cold Air intake. Although how that related to clutch failure is beyond me.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by bradz2125
They better not say I have to wait longer and see if it gets any softer. I paid $35k for this car and am not getting the full performace out of it because of a soft clutch which I need replaced. Well, thats what I'll say to them. I do drive it under normal driving conditions, except a few WOT runs on weekends and such. No launches, or dropping the clutch at high revs, never taken it to the track at all. The only thing I'm worried about is will that complain about my Denscharger cold Air intake. Although how that related to clutch failure is beyond me.

Here is a direct quote from the 2003 Cobra brochure:

Ahem.

"And if you want to let it go, you can either launch with a no-drama surge of torque, or switch off traction control and lay down a matched pair of straight, smoky black rubber stripes".

To me, that clearly presents a choice, and implies some reasonability for your driving style. There is an implied "fitness of merchantability". If they deny you, go to Small Claims, be cool, and show that to the judge - ask him to have the dealer's attroney explain appropriate use. It might just work. If the dealer is dick enough to hassle you over an exhaust, they deserve it. BTW, also tell the judge that you did it for appearances sake, and it is no different than putting a Midas muffler on a Ford - as a consumer you have freedom to use parts you want, as long as they do not directly cause a failure.

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Well, my appointment is today afterwork at the dealership. They'll have to keep it overnight because I cant get there till after service closes. I'll keep you guys informed as to what happens. Wish me luck.

n0xlf

Established Member
Definately keep us updated..I only have 1200 miles, and can already tell a major difference between when I got it and now...

super sonic

Established Member
I've got 9400 miles, at least I did last Friday when I took my car in for service for the second time in a week. I got it back on Thursday, no more vibe, but with an extra 150 miles on it and a clutch that shook. Still dont have my car back, talked to the service advisor today and the throughout bearing was in but after dropping the trans the tech noticed the housing was cracked. Ordered the part from FoMoCo, who in turn will order the part from their supplier... Wonder when I'll get the car back and how many extra miles it will have on it this time. So far the techs have put 210 miles on my cobra.

JimBobWay

Established Member
My clutch went soft a while back as well on my 2003 Cobra. Took a trip to Vegas and on the way home the tranny started making a lot of noise - clatter when turing slow around corners. Clutch peddle was jumping around and making a whole lota noise. The problem? The tranny had cracked and was flopping all over the place. It took the dealer two trannies to get a good one in from Ford. Then I had to have the whole clutch and brake peddle assembly replaced as well. Must have been casued while the tranny was jumping. Since then and about 3000 miles later, no soft peddle.

I did hear someone else talk about the tranny cracking, hope this isn't a trend.

JimBobWay

rskdsk

Established Member
At 2500 miles on my white coupe, ford replaced my clutch under warrenty. The clutch was shaking the car on take off. I had cat back and intake ... no-one even questioned it.
On my redfire vert, I got the car with 12 miles on it and a soft clutch, I now have 3000 miles on it and the clutch has not changed (still soft). Everything seems to be enguaging good for the time being.

Ricks2003Cobra

Established Member
Not an 03 but Autoway in Bradenton, Fl is replacing my clutch,plate and flywheel on my 01 Cobra. They evaluated it, said there had been a problem with the tranny's in 01 and determined mine had the problem. They ordered the replacement parts and said "Full Warranty." Music to my ears. There are some good dealers who treat you fairly. I have had first class treatment and have felt more than fairly treated on both my 01 and 03 Cobra's.

Users who are viewing this thread