Bassani X and Catback users...What RPM/MPH does the drone start?

ObieFox

Established Member
All the aftermarket systems drone a little. I'm curious about the bassani system. What RPM/MPH does the drone or resonance start and where does it go away?

KO

skstang

Established Member
Mine is from 2000- 2300. If you let off the gas at slowdown it goes away. But at constant speed it's there at 2000RPM. Not terrible though.

RingTheory

Established Member
Definitely in the low 2ks. As skstang said, it's not bad. I hear it every morning in the parking garage, and it's not too bad at all IMO. However, there is an awesome sound goodie included with these pipes...I call it the 4K Howl...it's absolutely demonic.

Cobra'03

Established Member
There seems to be a bit of confusion on this topic - the "drone" is a resonance characteristic of the engine. It is not produced by the aftermarket exhausts, just not muffled by them. That is why every aftermarket exhaust with good flow (read minimum muffling) has the resonance heard at around 2100 rpm.

OEM system can be tuned to attenutate the resonance. So could an electronic phase inversion system, which you will see in the future. In that system, a sensor reads the waveform of the frequency or frequencies to be attenuated, and inverts the phase of the waveform via a transducer producing a signal of equal amplitude. This creates a waveform trough. By physical laws, a crest and a trough will essentially null, producing no resonance, ergo, no "drone".

MPH? Depends on what gear you are in.

Last edited:

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I have a Dr.gas X and the '03 bassani....don't seem to have any noticiable drone....I used to driving a '99 Lightning w/out a muffler so after hearing that "drone" anything quieter is better...highway crusing drone hardly noticiable...

cobrablue

Established Member
E=Mc2 which is the formula of the equation to determine at what speed and resonance does my exhaust become a pain in the ass.:lol1: sorry just had to do it

Users who are viewing this thread