Best deals on pads? Not sure what I need..

HIErPwRd

Established Member
Have decided to go the Menzerna route, using a PC7336...

will wash and clay followed by:
1) FPII Final Polish II
2)FTG Final Touch Glaze
3)FMJ Full Molecular Jacket

The cars I will be detailing are in very good condition, very minimal swirling, some etching from waterspots....

Wondering what all I need as far as pads/bonnets, seems like most everyone removes products by hand, am trying to weigh advantages/disadvantages of removing with PC vs by hand...

If you guys could recommend a pad line up id appreciate it, I will also need a backing plate...

I understand Lake County and Sonus (unsure about Advanced) are pretty much the benchmark, just wondering what all I need and where I might find the best deals...

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Scott P

Established Member
Ok, on to the answer. I guess I should've answered in the post above. If you are doing multiple cars, I would stock up on white polishing pads. They are the most often used pad in my arsenal. I would add an orange light cutting pad or two. Black finishing and blue final finishing pads would be great for glazes and PC application of waxes and sealants.

I haven't used any MF bonnets since I remove everything by hand. If a product is difficult to buff off, I figure I used it wrong or it's not the product for me. Ease of use is a key quality I look for. I have seen some positive results from MF bonnets, but like I said before, I just haven't tried it myself.

HIErPwRd

Established Member
hey guys I appreciate your responses....

was wondering who the pads are made by....

have heard great things about SMP, but would prefer to stick with one of the top brand pads....

thanks! :thumbs up:

Scott P

Established Member
jUsTAtHRee8 said:
hey guys I appreciate your responses....

was wondering who the pads are made by....

have heard great things about SMP, but would prefer to stick with one of the top brand pads....

thanks! :thumbs up:

The pads I carry are Lake Country "Advanced" pads. They are the top brand IMHO. The Sonus SFX pads are also made by Lake Country. LC does a lot of private labeling.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Scott P said:
The pads I carry are Lake Country "Advanced" pads. They are the top brand IMHO. The Sonus SFX pads are also made by Lake Country. LC does a lot of private labeling.

I have no affiliation to Scott, but if you've learned anything about detailing cars, then you know the "top brands" are usually junk. What sealant do think is of higher quality, NXT or Poorboy's Ex?? Yeah, no doubt NXT is a top brand, but anything you buy at Walmart will not be as high quality as something only ordered through a broker. I have had all different types of pads, and the only ones that are still in good condition are the ones from SMP.

Oh yeah, and do you think David Bynon of Autopia is floating around her waiting to help you with every question about detailing??? He isn't, but you'll see Scott posting throughout the day.

Last edited:

HIErPwRd

Established Member
cobravenom-

when i referred to top brands i meant high end stuff, was mainly talking about pads/towels, wanted to stay with Sonus or Lake Country..
I do realize that we can all do alot better than what pep boys or autozone stocks on their shelves, marketing and labeling dont usually mean much of anything...

It does say alot about a distributor when they go out of their way to answer questions- my only dilemna is finding a place that has most everything i need, would rather not have to go thru 3 different places...

Users who are viewing this thread