best recommended tire?

Mach0ne351

Established Member
what is the best recommended tire for 18x9.5 00R rims? i was thinking something that are 265 or 275's? im running BFG GFore KDW 265/40-18s now. i just would like to have a set of good race tires that can last 6-8 events atleast.

-marek

Cobra-R

Established Member
265 to 285's are pretty much the standard for track tires depending on whats available from any given manufacturer. Don't go any wider than 285's on 9.5" wheels.

Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
The only tire I have used on 18" wheels that would last that many events are the Kumho Ecsta V700. They are a decent tire and last pretty good. I rode in a car with a friend that had a set of Pilot sport cups that impressed me. They are pretty spendy, but seem to last really well.

I use Dunlop race tires or Hoosier R3S03's (R3S04's), no chance of getting 6-8 events out of them, but they have great grip.

I havn't looked in the last couple months to what the 18" choices are by now, but on my 17" wheels I love the Kumho V710's. Depending on how hard you drive and the type of tracks, you might be able to squeeze out your 6-8 event goal with them. They are my favorite tire personally.

I have never run the Nitto's, so I can't be any help there.

Brian

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
I run the Nitto 555R II road race tires on my 17" rims.
They also sell 285/35/18's as well. I love them for the track.
So far I've run 2 track days on them and I'd say I have at least 3-4
more track days in them, if not more.

However, I've only run on street tires before I bought these, so I don't know how they compare to Hoosiers or Kumhos.
But I am impressed at how well they stick to the track.

chris2_2

I run Toyo Proxes RA1's. But I have an 9 inch rim with 275's. Way better grip than regular street tires. Shaved them to 5/32 and no heat cycling needed. DOT approved also.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i run on plain old michelin pilot sport street tires. i went through two sets last year. on the second set, i actually ran out of heat cycles in them before i ran out of tread.

driving instruction has paid for itself several times over just in increased tire life.

Cobra-R

Established Member
SnkBtn99 said:
Cobra-R, what size Kumhos are you running on your 17s?

275/40-17's most of the time, I did buy some 255/40-17's and on some tracks they actually seem to work better.

Brian

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Man...that's got to be one of the best looking Cobras I've seen in a long time. Nice ride!

Mach0ne351 said:
what is the best recommended tire for 18x9.5 00R rims? i was thinking something that are 265 or 275's? im running BFG GFore KDW 265/40-18s now. i just would like to have a set of good race tires that can last 6-8 events atleast.

-marek

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Also if it's not done before they are put on the car, they can get out of round during their first heat cycle.

ShelbyGuy said:
i heat cycle is bringing a tire up to track temp and then letting it cool.

towards the end of their useful life, they'll come up to temp real quick, overheat even quicker, and feel very greasy to drive on.

Users who are viewing this thread