"Bolt" in my Nitto!!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Pulling out from my parking lot on the way home from work last night, I ran over a three inch smooth chrome pin and in went all the way into one of my Nittos right up to the head. Never even saw it lying there...... It's right in the center of the tire. Just plugged it up and it's holding air fine.

Question..... going to MIR on Saturday for the Modular Fords shootout. What do you think about running the tire at the track? Or should I play it safe and put the F1's back on?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Just kinda wondering what an extensive burnout may do to a plug in a drag radial.....can you see me driving home 75 miles with the space-saving spare on?????

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Not worth it. What if that plug comes out at 120mph at the end of 1/4. You don't want to deal with that. Put the F1's back on. Your ET's may suffer for one outing, but how many times do you go in a season?

ModsAway

Established Member
Your doing the 1/4 mile? I think you will be fine, after all are you never planning on WOT ever again even on the street? If you never plan to WOT again then replace it anyway, otherwise I believe you are safe on the street and drag strip, they do say the tire is actually stronger where the plug is now but maybe thats bs.

I would not however open track, there are enough variables with that kind of intense driving for extended periods of time without taking any further risks with a damaged tire.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
Did you plug the tire yourself? with like a driveway repair kit? I deffinetly would not use those tires at the strip. Especially if it was a large diameter pin that went through. When that pin punchtured the tire, it probably broke some of the cords in the tire. You know the nylon and steel "belts" that make it a Z rated tire. At high speeds the tire could become unstable, if the hole was large enough. Also with those repair kits, you usually have to ream the hole out to fit the plug in. That is not a good idea, if the hole is small enough at first, the best way to deal with it is to patch it from the inside. If the hole was small there is a good chance it didn't break any cords, but I can guarantee that the plug will fly out of the tire at about 80 mph.....especially if the tire is good and hot. Those plugs work good for a highway tire, but not a performace tire.

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
hmmmmm.....

hmmm.... I've plugged every tire and nitto drag radial I've ever owned myself on every mustang I've ever owned with no problems. It seems my cars always find the nails in the road but then again I live near a new subdivision where they are always building houses.

I've used nittos dr's for my everyday rears for at least 5 years now and go to the track regularly with no problems. I'm not saying you won't have problems, I just never have. It also depends on how big the bolt was. If you're that worried about, just bring a stock wheel to the track with you in case it gives you trouble so you don't have to ride back home on the spare. Just my 2 cents.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
If that plug comes out while flying through the traps I'm sure that you'll be wishing you'd have put the F1's back on....:shrug:

i8u

Established Member
Sucks.... If it makes you feel any better my gf ran over a 9inch drill bit. I was like wtf when it kept coming out of the tire.:lol:

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
I've had a tire go down on a 1/4 pass. Definitely not something you want to happen!

Why take any unnecessary risks?

Users who are viewing this thread