Boomers to Xoomers, things you don't see anymore?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I thought I would fight the old man once when I was around 14-15… I woke up on the kitchen floor, mom was smacking me to wake me up after pops delivered the one-hitter quitter. I never did that again. Kids need an ass beating every now and again.

Yep, unfortunately some of us need to learn the lesson the hard way. I never tried my old man. He was in the Army and always looked intimidating to me.

However, my step son almost got froggy once. I was yelling at him for something he did. He was standing up and got in my face. We were in his room. When he got in my face I pushed him down on his bed and he bounced right back up and balled up his fist.

I looked at him and told him do it! Swing at me and see what happens to you. He unballed his fist and stepped back.

We never had issues after that. He wasn't a bad kid. He was just supper pissed that day and realized he was about to cross a line and probably regret it LOL.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yep, unfortunately some of us need to learn the lesson the hard way. I never tried my old man. He was in the Army and always looked intimidating to me.

However, my step almost got froggy once. I was yelling at him for something he did. He was standing up and got in my face. We were in his room. When he got in my face I pushed him down on his bed and he bounced right back up and balled up his fist.

I looked at him and told him do it! Swing at me and see what happens to you. He unballed his fist and stepped back.

We never had issues after that. He wasn't a bad kid. He was just supper pissed that day and realized he was about to cross a line and probably regret it LOL.
I had a moment of temporary insantity, my father was a vietnam vet and rather large man. I thought I was big too, lol, not big enough :LOL:

For the record I never swung, I stood up like I was going to do something.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
For the record I never swung, I stood up like I was going to do something.

Yep, exactly like my step son. Guess your pops wasn't waiting to see if you would nor take the time to give you a verbal warning LMAO....

We definitely were raised differently than kids today. I do not believe in abuse, but as you said, some kids need their asses beat.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

However, my step son almost got froggy once. I was yelling at him for something he did. He was standing up and got in my face. We were in his room. When he got in my face I pushed him down on his bed and he bounced right back up and balled up his fist.

My son almost whooped up on a store clerk who got profane and mouthy with me. He is 15 bigger and stronger than dad but family loyalty is strong. He helps take care of me since my disabilities have me in a bad place and we don't do as much as we used together but he is more protective than my Boxer dawg.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yep, exactly like my step son. Guess your pops wasn't waiting to see if you would nor take the time to give you a verbal warning LMAO....

We definitely were raised differently than kids today. I do not believe in abuse, but as you said, some kids need their asses beat.
I think the protests on campus are a perfect example of what happens when kids are raised without consequences… just look at these entitled, selfish f’ng brats, destroying school property then having the nerve to demand food be brought in for them too… they all need to catch a serious beating and see how the world really works when you step out of line. Wall to wall counseling works and would do them all some good.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I think the protests on campus are a perfect example of what happens when kids are raised without consequences… just look at these entitled, selfish f’ng brats, destroying school property then having the nerve to demand food be brought in for them too… they all need to catch a serious beating and see how the world really works when you step out of line. Wall to wall counseling works and would do them all some good.

Couldn't agree with you more brother....

01yellercobra

Established Member
My kids are turning out ok. My son is older and one time my daughter was having problems with a boy at school. He liked her, but she didn't like him. It was to the point it was getting uncomfortable for her and her friends. My son tried to do the polite thing and asked him to step away to talk. But the kid didn't want to. So, in front of everyone he said, "they don't like you and don't want you around". He wasn't a problem after that. I've seen my son step up for others a couple times.

I never had any interest in squaring up with my dad. It never crossed my mind. I do remember one time after my second deployment we were relaxing in their pool. It was an above ground pool, nothing fancy. But for some reason my dad got it in his head he needed to test me in a wrestling match. He took two steps, I hooked his legs and started to lift him out of the water. He stopped right then and never tried again.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I do remember one time after my second deployment we were relaxing in their pool. It was an above ground pool, nothing fancy. But for some reason my dad got it in his head he needed to test me in a wrestling match. He took two steps, I hooked his legs and started to lift him out of the water. He stopped right then and never tried again.

LMAO!!! The old man needed to see if he still had you Bob. Sometimes it's we elders who need to realize our place. We need to realize the respect is given out of love and curtesy, not because of physical ability LOL.

I remember when I was visiting my uncle during summer one year. My brother and I were 16 and 13. My uncle tried to wrestle with us. I hooked one leg and arm and my brother hooked the other leg and arm. With our free hands we were punching him in the stomach. Not hard, just playfully. He was laughing, but couldn't move. My little cousins (his kids) started crying and telling our aunt "They are beating up daddy!" LMAO!!!!

Now that was a funny day.....

ajaf1656

Established Member
Cursive and forcing people to be right handed is from a time when you wrote with a quill dipped in ink. Now we can write with ballpoint pens that don't drip ink between letters or smear.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I read a statistic not to long ago stating that suicides were the highest among small family farmers. Apparently more so than any other occupation. Many farms are just struggling to make ends meet, hard to compete against the large corporate owned operation's.

View attachment 1840279
Had to quote this one. When I moved out to the country, a large local farmer hired me to repair his barn doors. I was able to get to know him and his family. They owned one of the biggest family farms in the Area. He was a big man. Ate breakfast at the local diner, that's how we met. If you asked him he was doing he'd reply "I never had a bad day" worth millions had what most would dream of having. He off'ed himself. It shook me. I still can't believe he did it. He represented what I thought was a successful senior member of the community. I guess he had a bad day and just couldn't take it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I don't think I could fully write in cursive anymore but my handwriting is a mix of cursive and regular letters. People say I have good handwriting for a guy so I'll credit it to the fact I learned how to write cursive. Some of the handwriting I see daily is atrocious. Customer have to fill out a direction to pay form when they first come in so I see all their writing and I often have to go and ask them for clarification because I don't know what to enter into the computer for their personal info.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think I could fully write in cursive anymore but my handwriting is a mix of cursive and regular letters. People say I have good handwriting for a guy so I'll credit it to the fact I learned how to write cursive. Some of the handwriting I see daily is atrocious. Customer have to fill out a direction to pay form when they first come in so I see all their writing and I often have to go and ask them for clarification because I don't know what to enter into the computer for their personal info.
I learned cursive in school. Switched back to print in high school for lecture note taking. It was faster form of writing for me. Plus my writing looks like I just graduated from the crayon to the pencil.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I can't remember the last time I used cursive. Probably the last time I handed in a written report in high school. Even after my time in the military I have horrible writing. At my old job I had to fill out labels and occasionally I'd have someone fill the smaller ones for me.

Apparently I'm still used as an example for what not to do when filling out some forms.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I can't remember the last time I used cursive. Probably the last time I handed in a written report in high school. Even after my time in the military I have horrible writing. At my old job I had to fill out labels and occasionally I'd have someone fill the smaller ones for me.

Apparently I'm still used as an example for what not to do when filling out some forms.
Everyone at work is glad I do everything on a computer, now they can read what I type.

Users who are viewing this thread