Boss Oil Cooler

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
yeah a guy over at AFM installed one. Install was actually a lot more involved than I thought it would be. He didn't have any impressions I don't think of whether or not it had any noticeable effect on the driving.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Install is straight forward.

Remove lower valence, drain coolant.

Remove lower radiator hose between radiator and lower side of thermostat housing.

Remove oil filter.

Remove threaded piece that oil filter screws on to. (14mm allen)

Attach 2 coolant lines to oil cooler.

Put oil cooler up in place and screw nipple in to secure (it is a little tricky to get lines in place but can be done) Do not over tighten nipple!

Install new lower radiator hose, paying attention to which side goes to engine and which side goes to radiator.

Connect oil cooler coolant lines to lower radiator hose.

Fill and purge coolant system using Ford specialty orange coolant and (preferrably) distilled water. 50/50 mix

Reinstall lower valence.

Pat self on back for a job well done and crack beer.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Install is straight forward.

Remove lower valence, drain coolant.

Remove lower radiator hose between radiator and lower side of thermostat housing.

Remove oil filter.

Remove threaded piece that oil filter screws on to. (14mm allen)

Attach 2 coolant lines to oil cooler.

Put oil cooler up in place and screw nipple in to secure (it is a little tricky to get lines in place but can be done) Do not over tighten nipple!

Install new lower radiator hose, paying attention to which side goes to engine and which side goes to radiator.

Connect oil cooler coolant lines to lower radiator hose.

Fill and purge coolant system using Ford specialty orange coolant and (preferrably) distilled water. 50/50 mix

Reinstall lower valence.

Pat self on back for a job well done and crack beer.

Would installing the Boss all-aluminum radiator at the same time be a decent upgrade? From your instructions it seems to be a pretty easy install and I've read on other forums that it keeps the oil temps at around 225F or lower so I'm pretty impressed by those numbers seeing as how my initial setup will be used for road racing. Thanks for your input. :beer:

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Would installing the Boss all-aluminum radiator at the same time be a decent upgrade? From your instructions it seems to be a pretty easy install and I've read on other forums that it keeps the oil temps at around 225F or lower so I'm pretty impressed by those numbers seeing as how my initial setup will be used for road racing. Thanks for your input. :beer:

If you are thinking of doing the radiator, doing it at the same time as the boss cooler would be the best thing, that way you dont have to drain the system twice.

Though the Boss radiator is not all aluminum, it still has plastic end tanks.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
If you are thinking of doing the radiator, doing it at the same time as the boss cooler would be the best thing, that way you dont have to drain the system twice.

Though the Boss radiator is not all aluminum, it still has plastic end tanks.

Aren't there two versions of the Boss radiator? The one you mentioned has the plastic end tanks and then there's one that are aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread