Brake bleeding problems?

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
I was installing stainless lines on my cobra and was shipped the wrong set so I had to put the stock lines back on and now I have some serious air in the lines. My buddy and I bled the brakes probably 6 times and got no air at the bleeders. The pedal felt fine until I started the car up and cycled the brakes a few times, and had very little feel and the pedal pretty much goes to the floor. The brakes work but I know there is still air in the lines. Is there any special tricks to bleeding the brakes on the cobra. We were bleeding them wthh the car off, we did not think that should matter, does it? Thanks for any tips, I am seriously thinking about just taking it somewhere and letting them put a vacume on them but I dont want fluid all over creation either.

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Someone correct me if i'm wrong here but don't you have to bleed the brakes in a certain order with the driver side front being the last one?

j card

Established Member
I had the same situation as you - wrong bolts for the calipers, but I quickly bolted it back up with the stock stuff so I wouldn't leak much fluid out. If you left the system open the whole time you were waiting for the new parts, you probably got air in the ABS module. If thats the case, I think you need a Ford service tech with the correct equipment to properly bleed the ABS. At least that's what I have heard.

Boostin01

Established Member
I got the wrong lines/bolts too. Who did everyone use? Let's see if it is one company so everyone else does not have to do the same thing as us.

I USED SPEEDCONCEPTS.COM

lachj1

Established Member
There is a proportion valve by the master cylinder. Look at the small square block with lines going into it. Feel with your finger on the bottom of it and push it in. Bleed the front brakes first a few times per side, you'll feel the pedal go right to the floor. Then move to the back, it takes a while to do the back just keep repeating. The back will start out as little drop of fluid coming out of the bleeder, don't be fooled, the fluid has to gush out solidly , then it will be bled. Keep adding fluid to the master as you bleed.

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Boost
I got the wrong lines/bolts too. Who did everyone use? Let's see if it is one company so everyone else does not have to do the same thing as us.

I USED SPEEDCONCEPTS.COM

Ditto that ,Have you sent them back yet? If you check out Maximum Motorsports they have a expalanation for all the new edge brake line confusion, I think I will buy from them next, although according to them I need the fine thread banjo bolts, but mine sure looked coarse thread to me, Oh well back to stock for now just got to get the air out.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
When I installed the LineLoc, I used a vacuum bleeder. It worked well. They are not too expensive and are easy to use.

Dana

Boostin01

Established Member
Originally posted by 1 bad bullitt
Ditto that ,Have you sent them back yet? If you check out Maximum Motorsports they have a expalanation for all the new edge brake line confusion, I think I will buy from them next, although according to them I need the fine thread banjo bolts, but mine sure looked coarse thread to me, Oh well back to stock for now just got to get the air out.

Yea I just sent it back. I need coarse thread maybe we should have just swaped out. j/k:beer:

Sucks huh?

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Yes, it does suck but it was notonly the banjo bolt problem , I cut the crush washer off my stock banjo bot thinking I could use it for the new lines well, it worked but when I went to connect the other end to the hard line it was the wrong size as well, WTF.
Did you get some rotors from them as well, I did, seems to be a OK product but they are not the Eradispeed's I wanted.

jwfisher

Banned
Ford techs have an electronic tablet which opens/closes each valve in the ABS so that it can be bleed properly. Otherwise you cannot get all the air out.

j card

Established Member
I got mine from Maximum Motorsports. They said that there was a change-over somewhere in the production run, and that early Cobras have one thread - after that, they have the other one. They were getting VIN numbers to try and narrow it down and find out when the switch occurred, so if you give them the VIN or the build date when you order, they should be able to get you the right ones on the first shot. I called them up when I discovered the problem, and they put the right parts in a fedex box and had the right bolts to me first thing the next morning - Great service!

03'Darin

Established Member
I got the wrong bolts also.

I bought two pair, one for my wifes 97' Cobra and one for my 03'. The bolts for the 97' were correct but the bolts for my 03' were not. I bought my lines from Maximum Motorsports but they are actually Stop Tech lines.

I called MM when I found the problem (several months ago) and they just said hmmmmmmmmm. Never offered to correct the problem or replace the bolts. I had used an extra set I keep in my tool box.

Darin

j card

Established Member
I did the swap in January. At that time, they said that they had come across it a few times already. If the search button worked, I'd link to the discussion that we had about this at that time.

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by j card
I did the swap in January. At that time, they said that they had come across it a few times already. If the search button worked, I'd link to the discussion that we had about this at that time.

I did mine last oct/nov.

I was probably that..... "hmmmm, I can't believe that, that's NEVER happened before".........guy. :lol1:

Darin

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
bleed all four brake calipers, then bleed the air out of the master cylinder. Do it all the time at the dealership on the cobras. You no not need to send it in at let the dealership bleed the ABS module. they want you to think that though!
You will have two bleed valves on the master cylinder just like on the calipers. Bleed it just like the calipers

Users who are viewing this thread