Brake Squeak

Cobra-O

Established Member
Hey guys,

just noticed that my breaks are squeaking for about 1/2 a second each time I hit the brakes. Hit brakes, squeak 1/2 a second, no more squeaking breaking to stop.

I have about 7800 miles. Should I take it in to the shop to try to warrenty it (completely stock), or just take it apart myself and take a look. How many miles are people getting out of the stock pads? Most of my driving has been stop and go, to and from work.

thanks,

Aaron

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
I have 27K on my pretty much stock car. I still have the stock pads, and they have been squeeling since I got the car. I've even tried some of that spray on anti-squeel stuff which didn't help. I know this is a common problem with our cars. I plan on replacing the pads this weekend with some Hawks, but I don't expect the squeeking to ever completely be gone. My dealership didn't do jack about it either.

Any luck with this one anyone?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Same problem here, inspected my rotors and pads and they are fine. I rather them squeel than the dealership try to do something...

TXTERMIN8TOR

Established Member
I've got 9K miles on my 03 and have the exact same problem. They stop awesome so I've never thought to have the squeeling checked, plus I've heard that its a common issue.

sonic77

Established Member
Is it a high pitched squeak or more of a creak (if that makes any sense)? My left front caliper is creaking when I press the brake pedal. It does it even when the car is stopped. I think it's one of the pistons.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
An old trick is to rough up the surface of the pads with some sandpaper. The squeeling happens when the pads glaze over so the sandpaper is suppose to cut the glaze.

I have found that proper break in for new pads and rotors will minimize brake squeel. I can't find the link, but check out the Bremo and Baer sites for instruction for doing this.
http://www.baer.com/
http://www.brembo.com/index.html

IOPNER

Black Crazy
Established Member
I have the same problem. I took my car in last week, and there IS a service message on the 03-04 Cobra's. If there is a vibration, the dealership is suppose to 'turn' the rotors. If there is a squeek ,they are suppose to REPLACE them. I am getting new rotors this week. BTW, I only have 1600 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread