Brakes and Rotors

ExarKun10

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra with 29K miles that has gouges or deep grooves in both rear rotors. They are the factory original rotors. I going to replace them during its winter down time here in Ohio. Any recomendations as to which rotors/pads to buy?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the fluted rotors? If I go with fluted I will be changing the front ones as well.

Also, what would cause the grooves? The rear pads (factory original as well) are not wore to the point that they would need replaced.

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Well, I don't know what happened to your rotors, but your purchase will depend on how you plan to use your Cobra. If you plan to race, you will probably want a good slotted/cross drilled rotor. I bought the Baer Eradispeed plus rotors. Kind of pricey but they have a lifetime warranty against warping. There are plenty of others to choose from. If you don't plan to race, then I would replace them with the OEM Brembo's. They are effective. The key with rotors are properly "seasoning" them when they are new.

William

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by willyum
Well, I don't know what happened to your rotors, but your purchase will depend on how you plan to use your Cobra. If you plan to race, you will probably want a good slotted/cross drilled rotor. I bought the Baer Eradispeed plus rotors. Kind of pricey but they have a lifetime warranty against warping. There are plenty of others to choose from. If you don't plan to race, then I would replace them with the OEM Brembo's. They are effective. The key with rotors are properly "seasoning" them when they are new.

William

If you are referring to "racing" as drag racing where the motivation is to save weight, I would agree.
If "racing" means open tracking or something along those lines, stay with solid rotors. There is no performance advantage to slotted and drilled rotors, contrary to what alot of people think. Drilling gives the rotors a place to start heat stress cracks, which turn into big cracks, structurally damageing the rotots eventually.
If you are shooting for looks on the street, then go with what you like visual wise. Most of us run Brembo's on the track, they are cheap and probly as good if not better than anything else out there.
The tire rack has Brembo rotors now, they are by far the cheapest price I have seem for rotors. I believe it's $62. ea for fronts, and $55 for the rears. (one piece rotors)

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread