Brakes - who does best repair?

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Had some trouble with my brake set up at the track this weekend (open road track). Just prior to event I swapped front rotors or slotted ones, replaced (F) Brembos with Hawk DTC-30s. that is my normal routine. This time I also replaced rear with Hawk DT-10s and replaced rear calipers since I had a set of very slightly used ones. Car never felt right while bedding in pads/rotors but figured a session on the track would work it out - bad idea! After trying a couple of variations while at the track, it never felt right. I lost it in a braking zone, approaching a corner that I attribute at least partially to the brakes. Eventually went back to the Brembos (F) and C-Max (R), which is my street setup. Before reverting to the total street setup, I had smoke coming from 'somewhere' under hard braking. The front rotors, rear calipers and DT-10s were what was new for this event. Once I went back to the street setup, all felt normal - at least the car felt stable under hard braking, which it did not before. So, because there are too many variables I can't pinpoint the specific area of trouble. But, it's time to have a good r&r on the calipers. So, what do you think - do I go to a place like Brake Check or to the Ford dealership, or ...? Should I leave the calipers on the car or take them off and bring to shop?

Users who are viewing this thread