Broken Cobra needs help

MikeW

Established Member
Went to the drag track yesterday and came with a bad CLUNK.
I hear the noise when I turn right or left, and sound like I ran over a soda can (CLUNK). The rear of the car shifts a little to either side depending on which way I cut the wheels. Once in gear and going straight, the car pulls fine a runs through all gears ok.

Does this sound like the Traction Lock is toast?
I’ve checked the rear sway bar, the Upper control arms and tightened the lug nuts on both wheels.

any ideas???
:??: :??: :cryying:

MikeW

Established Member
The car is about to turn 20,000 miles. It has had a blower on it before, and does have 4:10 gears I guess it may be the Traction Lock Unit. How much would it cost to rebuild Vs new?

Which would you guys suggest?

MikeW

Established Member
1/4 mile terror or 1/8th, as the 1/8 track is closer.
My daily driver is my 93 Gt Vert (automatic) for traffic.:D

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Well the stock 8.8 should be able to hold up to 400hp...
What did you do?? lol...

Well... since it's gonna be apart... I'd up the anty on the axles for one... 31-spline Mosers. Then depending on how much you wanna throw at it, you could rebuild the stocker, only stronger, or maybe get an Aburn.

Myself... I like the 8.8. Just put more clutch packs in it.
Also, get the T/A Ground Pounder aluminum girdle (they also manufacture the SVO girdle). It includes cover...bearing cap studs... nuts... and an innovative bearing cap strap that just may be the beefiest on the market. I believe they have a drain plug on the bottom also.
And since you're in there, put synthetic fluid back in.

Do you have a rebuilder source?

MikeW

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2
Well the stock 8.8 should be able to hold up to 400hp...
What did you do?? lol...

400Hp The car is a X-Blower car, and the prior driver may have :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :burn: pounded the stock rear. The guy that sold me the car never knew it had a blower on it. He only had the car a short time and just knew that it was a Cobra. As soon as I seen that it had boost and fuel gauges, ??? it made me start looking.

Well... since it's gonna be apart... I'd up the anty on the axles for one... 31-spline Mosers. Then depending on how much you wanna throw at it, you could rebuild the stocker, only stronger, or maybe get an Aburn.

Do you have a rebuilder source?

No source and the job will be outa my hands. I'm start looking around town (Nashville,TN) for a good shop and get some quotes.
Do you know of a good place to order direct?

Thanks for the info I was thinking 31-Spline.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by 97topless snake

No source and the job will be outa my hands. I'm start looking around town (Nashville,TN) for a good shop and get some quotes.
Do you know of a good place to order direct?

Thanks for the info I was thinking 31-Spline.
Ya' know I haven't had any rearend research done in a while... prices and vendors have surely changed by now... I only have one local rearend expert and one buddy that can do a gear swap that I've helped with and that's about it...

My method of research would be about the same thing you can do, forums for who's done what, and hittin' up a MM&FF and 5.0 Mustang rag...

A thought... have you checked a local salvage yards for one at all? Would be easy to build one off already, then swap it out in one fell swoop...

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If you're wanting a terror, I'd go with a locker in the rear. No clutches to wear out. Makes a little noise going around curves,but lasts much longer under heavy abuse. ;-)

MikeW

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys.... I hope to get the car in the shop this week, and at least see what the $$$ is gonna be.

MikeW

Established Member
Well I have received word on my problem. The Stock Traction Lock is toast and is beyond the rebuild status. New Parts are on the way, and then we will see. :??: :shrug:

MikeW

Established Member
SVT X2 I'm getting just the TL right now. I ordered the FRPP Traclok just due to I get a discount from ford. I thought about an Eaton or Aubrun, but cost is an issue. Hopefully the new one will hold up, and if it does not, I will be sure to catch it before it is beyond the rebuild status. I may do the girdle and some other things to make it a little stronger, and using Synthetic fluid may help the FRPP TL hold up.

O and this being the first time that I had the car on a rack where I could take a peek under it, I found some other goodies under there. The car has Eibach springs, a T-Rex vortec fuel pump, Dynomax Turbo mufflers. But I do need to get some high flow cats, I thought it already had them, but the stock cats are still under there (all 4 of them). 4 cats on a car cant be good for breathing. All this was nice to find out as I have never been to get under the car it sits too low, I guess to the Eibach spring kit, and the side exhaust kit.

After all the parts are in and everything is back in oreder I will post the results.

Users who are viewing this thread