Building motor

Mach 1 Boy

Established Member
I want to build a seperate motor to put in my Mach. Now what is the earliest block modular model that I can be able to use my heads?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Any year will accept any cylinder head, that's why they're called modular. There may be some subtle differences between the blocks that may need to be considered.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Some have bosses for knock sensors, some dont, the chain tensioners mount with dif furniture on diff years etc, but just like F2B said, your heads will slap right down..

Mach 1 Boy

Established Member
Nice! I wish I could afford a pre built motor but I've found some blocks at the junk yard that im lookin at getting. I got a friend who can get me the parts at cost. Im tryin not to spend over 2grand in parts

orange2004cobra

Established Member
You should be able to do that with parts at cost. {your pistons and rods anyway}
Proper machine work on the block wont be cheap though.
"Clean up" deck the block, bore it with tq plates, and line hone the block and as long as you assemble it properly, and spec out the piston to wall and ring end gap correctly {file fit is the only way to go}, you should be fine.

Of course, all of those things add up labor wise if you dont do them yourself.

Last edited:

Mach 1 Boy

Established Member
I found a complete navigator motor for 700. Got a price sheet from a locale machine shop. It looks like I will spend roughly 650 dollors for the machine work but he might work out a deal. Im also looking at sleeveing then boreing it to a 5.7.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Personally, {and we have done a ton} I would just build up the 5.4 if your gonna do the Navi engine, as It will be hard to justify the increased labor cost if you decide to sleeve the block. {hp per dollar wise} I mean, you will already be almost 1L larger just going to the 5.4. You will be heavier in the front end tho, dont forget about that. You could do a k member to ofset that some, but that just costs more cash..
Depending on what your power goals are, I'd consider sticking with the 4.6.
But for WOW factor, the Navi engine would be the trick setup..

Mach 1 Boy

Established Member
Already got the k-member on order it should be here in a week or so. I found a brand new 5.4 iron block from ford for 500. so its just going to be a toss between the 2. I got a procharger d-1 waiting to be ordered from a shop personal friend got me hell of a deal. what numbers roughly I could see if it was 5.4 or bored to 5.7 at 15lbs of boost?

orange2004cobra

Established Member
All depends on your comp. ratio, cam specs ,intake and/or headers my friend..

But in a nutshell, "plenty"...

Users who are viewing this thread